DPFE question!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
Just replaced the DPFE sensor on my Job 2 '01 due to a P0401 code. Should the CEL turn off on its on or do I need to unhook the negative battery cable to clear the computer? I did start the ST up after installing the sensor and the CEL light stayed on but I only let it run for less than a minute before turning it off. Thanks for the input.

Jay

I think it needs several cycles (on, warm up, off) to clear a CEL, or you can remove the batt cable, but will lose your radio preset stations and the computer will also star re-learning your driving habits.

To keep from loosing my radio stations when I disconneceted my battery, I plugged a 9v battery into the cigerette lighter. You can pick up a cigerette lighter plug & a 9v battery plug at Radio Shack.

To keep from loosing my radio stations when I disconneceted my battery, I plugged a 9v battery into the cigerette lighter. You can pick up a cigerette lighter plug & a 9v battery plug at Radio Shack.

Does that really work Darrel? I hate when I disconnect my battery and I loose my radio settings. What with the sub settings, balance, equalizer, radio stations, etc, it takes me about 30 minutes to get everything back to normal.

The OBD-II system requires 10 cold starts and warm-up cycles without detecting any DPFE/EGR errors before the CEL will reset.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as presets go, I've disconnected my battery several times on my 04 and the Audiophile headunit has always retained its presets. The only thing I have to reset is the clock (and the trip meter on the dashboard).

I don't have all that other stuff on mine, just the single in-dash cd on my 01 ST. It did woek for that. Of course the more you got connected the more of a drain. I wonder if you plug a 9v battery into each of the cigerette lighter plugs if that would help. For 3 plugs with the best 9v battery you can get should be under $30.00. So it might be worth a try the next time you have to work on the ST with the battery disconnected.

The OBD-II system requires 10 cold starts and warm-up cycles without detecting any DPFE/EGR errors before the CEL will reset.

...Rich

I had started counting down my cold starts, and my CEL went off on my 4th (or 5th depending on length of starts) so maybe the 10 count is not cast in stone. Thanks for your help.

Jay

Latest posts