Double DIN Wiring Info For Future Gen 1 Installers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
I've been racking my brains trying to find a backup cam that we'd like for a decent price and finally, after the head unit sitting for three weeks, said the heck with it and installed the head unit anyway. I did wire everything so that when we get a cam it's a simple run of the video cable to the head unit.

I've read a lot of posts on here people wanting to know where to hook up certain wires. The most important for these double DIN navi setups is the backup light wire and VSS wire. So I snapped a few photos to help future installers.

VSS WIRE

The VSS wire is black with a gray tracer (stripe) and you can easily access it at the module you will find to the left of the center stack opening when wiring your head unit. It is the forward of the two connectors, fourth wire in from the end on the back row.

[Broken External Image]:

REVERSE WIRE

The backup light wire is black with a pink tracer and I had planned to originally connect it at the big 40-pin connector under the driver's side of the dash, but it was too crowded in there. From that connector the wire goes down the LF kick and rearward out of the cab. So I easily found it right where the harness comes down and starts going rearward. The door sill trim is just retained with friction clips. Yank straight up and it comes off.

[Broken External Image]:

And of course, the obligitory "money shot":

[Broken External Image]:

It's a lightly used Pioneer AVIC F90BT installed with the Scosche double DIN kit and wiring adapter. We already had Polk Audio 6x8s in the doors so it sounds great now! Dawn is loving her ST all over again!

Now, just to find a friggin' camera! Argh!:banghead:

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the BT900 in my truck and love it!! You can do so much "modding" with it. I've changed the maps and other things as well. avic411 is where I learned a lot about it.

Familiar with the site, but haven't done any mods yet. I'll eventually do a custom splash screen, etc. It already had the hardware bypass mod from the previous owner and being the Premier model it came with the optional iPod cable (routed to the glovebox)...

The only bummer of the whole deal is the Scosche trim ring bows outward in the middle, like its not seated properly. I'll have to look into tweaking that somehow.

Mark

Latest posts