Double DIN Navi Head Unit In 2001 Gen1?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Howarth

Reaction score
My brother was telling me he was at a car show and saw a 2001 ST like I have with a Double DIN head unit (Pioneer AVIC). Has anyone seen this or know of how to do it? I have an opportunity at a really cheap avic from a friend and would love to do it. My brother believes the guy just modified the bezel for the radio to make it fit but if I remember correctly the stock unit is a 1.5 DIN Unit and the hole will not accomidate a Double DIN unit. Please let me know if I am correct or crazy!!! If someone know how to make this happen I would be pretty stoked! Thanks in advance for the help. As always this is the best board ever!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i just put a panasonic double din dvd head unit in my 2003, i had to shave off a bit on the top and bottom to make it fit but its perfect! i also painted the bezzel, look in my library, i love it!

That looks really good!! You only had to shave the bezel itself right? All else fit fine, and what model is that pioneer? Thanks for the quick response!! As always everyone on this board is awesome.:cool:

CQ-VW100U

this is the exact one i bought, best deal i found and it comes with a dash kit if you ask for it..i never used mine, although i probably should.

i had my buddy install it for me and it took me longer to shave the bezel down than it did for him to get it up and running lol..sounds great with my 2 12 kickers :cool::cool:

Installing a double din in the ST is very easy actually. you need to buy a metra kit and you need to trim the inside lip of the bezel to make it work. several members here have done it, and I believe the member "Sal A" has pics of what lip to trim. there was a post about this a few days ago, i'd advise you to do a quick search. here is the picture from his library:

[Broken External Image]:

I persoanlly have the Clarion double-din deck and yes, it's awesome to have....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks all of you guys!!! I might try to give it a run this weekend if all works out. Otherwise I will have to wait about 3-4 weeks with weddings and family events coming up. If I get to it this weekend I will post it up. Thanks again for all the help, I will check the threads for more info:D.

Sal A, That looks really good!! The bezel you got was from a Explorer? I really like the black bezel and the extra fog lamp switch? The extra switch would be great to use!! Please let me know. Thanks.

I got the radio bezel from an Explorer.

The switch also needs to be modified to fit in the rear defroster location. (just trimming of the tabs on the switch to let it fit.)

If you want the rear window up/down to be there you have to replace the rear wiper label with the one from the ST.

Along with the 2W/4Whigh/4Wlow label.

but they are not hard to do.

I don't understand after you shave the bezel...how does the double din mount? I wanted to do it but didn't know how it would mount in there? How did you guys do it --maybe a picture?

adas,

most mounts have some kind of clip system that attatches to the bezel.

( I will see if I can get a pic or 2)

then there is a trim piece that hides the bracket that is clipped onto the bezel.

then the radio slides into the bracket.

the back of the radio is held up with a strap or a bar. Some of the times.

Hope this clears up some stuff.

I have more pictures, of the install, at home on an other computer. and I will see if I can get them to you.

I just had a pioneer avic-f900bt installed into my 05 ST and the installer didn't have to cut anything away. I don't know if it's a different size or what not but it didn't need any trimming from what I saw :D

Latest posts