Door Mounted Spotlights ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or have a Unity spotlight on a Trac? It's one of those pillar or door mounted spolights you see on police vehicles. I have access to the police car ones and they make a mounting kit for the Trac, but I've never seen one on a Trac or talked to anyone who used one in a Trac.

Yeah do it Eltee be the first and if it looks good I'll be the second. :D

You could possible even paint it to color match.

I thought about it briefly when I was outfiting the Trac with the strobes, radio etc but I decided not to although at that time I didn't know they made a mount kit. I could get the spotlight for nothing the next time we trade out some cars but I dont even know how the mounting works as I didn't look that far into it and never paid much attention to them before. Do you happen to have a link to someplace that sells the mount kit.

I also considered one of the remote lights that mounts on top but those are quite large and with a sunroof there is not as much room to work with.

firedog

Where did you mount your strobes? I removed the strobes from my GMC, but haven't yet put them in the Trac. I was thinking the front and rear turn signals, but haven't pulled them out yet to see if there's a decent flat spot to drill into to mount the strobe bulbs themselves.

Also, where did you put the controller? In the space behind the rear seat or under the front or rear seat?

My department uses Crown Vics (Police Interceptors) and there are alot of unused black bodied Unity spotlights that I thought I could use on the Trac. I was also going to have the strobes installed, the Trac already has a red/blue dash light. Also trying to find room for the siren/PA and radio.

The rep at Unity light told me that the ones for the Crown Vics are specially made and will not fit the Trac, but that there is a specific model for the Trac and a specific install kit. They're fairly pricey, whereas the Crown Vic lights were essentially free.

I can't wire the Christmas tree lights let alone a vehicle. The cop shop installers will be doing the work, but I wanted to see if the light looks OK and works on the Trac before that irreversible hole gets drilled. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will await pics from Jim to see what they look like.

dreman- I have hideaway strobes in both my headlights and my corner lights, clear bulbs in the headlights and blue bulbs in aftermarket clear front corners. There was plenty of room for mounting both make sure you use a good hole saw for the drilling though as it is easy to break the plastic with a cheap one or a paddle bit. I aslo have a dual strobe mounted in the windshield behing the mirror and blue nova strobes in the rear window. I am thinking about changing them around a bit though. The ones in the headlights are nice when the headlights are not on but when headlights are in use they drown out the strobes quite a bit, of course I have the really bright white silverstar lights. The blue in the front corners are not all that noticeable on a sunny day basically because of the angle they had to be mounted at. Overall it is a very good system and I get lots of comments on how well they show up and how bright but I think I can do better. I have a front push bar to install and I think I am going to remove the strobes in headlights themselves and move them to inside the tail lights and then add a set of strobes to the push bar. I mounted the power pack behind the rear seat where the access door was. I originally wanted to put it up front but just coundn't find the room. The switches are mounted into the tray area of the console.

Eltee I know what you mean about the wiring I am the same way but I was determined to do the install myself, I did this with the blessing of the department but not with the funding lol.

I took me a very long time and a lot of knuckle scraping and to get all the wires run and everything hooked up right, there were a few mistakes along the way but when it was all done I was happy with the outcome. As for the spotlight I dont know if I'll try it or not I would want a black light for sure, if you do happen to find out the cost of the mount kit let me know.

I keep meaning to post a video of my strobes but never seem to get around to it, some day I will.

I used a woodworking Forstner bit to drill the holes for the hideaway strobes in my GMC. It made an almost perfect round hole each time.

I understand about the strobes not being as bright as they should be. I'm going to see if maybe I can locate the strobe bulbs as close to the focal point of the fixture as possible without actually touching the existing light bulb. I want to put them in the corner fixtures to see if maybe they will show up at a wider angle than just front and back.

I went with a Whelen kit with the 4 hideaways and a 90 Watt power supply Whelen being a good brand name and supposedly brighter then the more generic brand ones. The strobes themselves are quite bright but how it mounts does affect it alot plus no light really looks that bright on bright sunny days. Your mounting locations are limited because you really should leave a decent amount of clearance around the strobe. After dark my strobes are unbelievable bright, the nova in my back window are the brightest strobes I've seen for the size. The ones in the front corners offer a lot of coverage to the sides. Certainly the closer to the focal point you get them the better but since the light is designed for the fixtures standard bulb to be at the focal point you cant really mount the strobe very close to the focal point. I opted to mount mine toward the inside rather than the outside therefore it does project more out to the side. Again I will try to get a video of mine sometime soon. If you are going with any color other than amber I definately reccomend replacing the stock corner lights with clear ones.

The Unity Light rep provided this about my Trac:

The correct spotlight for the 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac is the 330H for both the driver and passenger side with the 29RH Bracket for the Driver Side and 29 Bracket for the Passenger Side. (Add -0002 to the spotlight for the Black Finish Housing).

If anyone has a spotlight on their Trac, pics of the outside and inside views appreciated. THANKS.

I have uploaded pictures to my library. I got this one off of ebay and it was from a Crown Vic but works just fine on the Sport Trac. I did have to order the bracket kit for the Sport Trac.

Jimmy,

THANKS. I suspect the Unity guy probably was going by the book when he told me the Unity Police Interceptor light would not fit. Yours looks fantastic. Did the cutting template come with the mounting kit? Do you have any issues with the inner handle, etc. It looks perfect. Lastly, was it a DIY or a professional install, it looks so neat it is sweeter than some of the "professional" installs on the police cars.

Well, since it fits, time to snag a Crown Vic one. We have cruisers that are crashed the same week they go out, so almost new, clean ones should be out there.

Yes, the template comes with the kit. I installed it myself, all you have to do is mark and drill the two holes that hold the bracket. Then mount the bracket and place the drill bushing in the bracket and drill through the door. I believe the only difference between the one they recommend for the Sport Trac and the Crown Vic is the length of the shaft. I think the one for the Trac is longer but I'm satisfied with mine. At least I stay warm while looking at deer.

Latest posts