door lock - button jumping, not unlocking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
I have not been able to use the key to open the door for about a year. Now the drivers door lock shaft just jumps a little bit, but won't pop up to unlock.

I have seen issues about rivets and springs. What symptoms do I have? Rivet or spring - or both?

Can I swap an actuator from the rear doors into the drivers door, if that is the issue?

Thanks,

Tony

you broke the rivit that holds the door lock actuator in place... you need to drill out what was there and refasten with something else, w/ is a royal PITA... you also need to lube it and free it up first... you might as whell do all the doors... BTDT!!

I had the exact same issue. it was not a rivet, but a small spring that wasn't holding up the bar that goes to the shaft (there needs to be tension on that bar).

I pulled off the inside door panel, looped the spring to the end of the bar and then hooked up to a point on the door where it was out of the way. took 30 minutes and cost me $1 for the spring at hardware store.

For pictures and instructions search for the thread and it shows you what to look for. Doesnt hurt to check it out to see if thats your problem too.

Pull the door panel off to physically find the issue. Have a flashlight and small mirror handy.

Remove the bolt holding the window guide for better visibility.

Could be the rivet, spring, actuator, or lack of lubrication, among other things.

In my case it was the actuator mechanism binding on the rubber dust boot. (Tie wrapped)

Very important to lift up on the door panel before pulling off.

Use the linked door panel project and take it from there. You only want to do this once. GL

Last edited by a moderator: