Door handle loose / lock wont unlock all the way

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went out this morning and the Trac wouldnt unlock on the drivers side. The outside door handle has been loose for a while, but always worked. I noticed that when I hit the unlock on the key fob, the interior lock shaft would go up about half way, and the door handle on the outside would move. I soon figured out that if I hold the handle still, it would unlock enough to get the door open.

Once I was inside the truck, I manually pulled up on the lock shaft, and it stayed all the way up, BUT, if I then pull on the outside handle, the shaft would go down about half way. I am thinking the problem is the handle. I dont think there is an issue with the power lock actuator because it seems to move freely and the actuator is strong. So, am I on the right track here? and if so, what is involved in replacing the outside handle?

Thanks, Dave

The handle has some springs on it that break off inside but the handle will still work but will be loose and as far as the door not un locking check on the back side of the door (towards the back of the truck ) near the bottom there should be a rivet that holds the lock mech. and sometimes the rivet breaks and you will just see a hole there where the rivet should be and if the rivet is broken the lock won't lock and unlock right

my rivet broke that seems to be where the lock mechanism swivels. Has anyone had to replace this rivet before too? It looks like its gonna be a real pain in the ass to replace.

Latest posts