Door ajar light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I have posted. It's good to be back. I have been having some trouble with the joor ajar warning light staying on even though all the doors are closed. It is a pain because when I park the truck it causes the interior lights to stay on so I have to turn off the lights at the dash switch. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it. I have a 2001 4X4. Hoping I can get help to solve the problem so I don't have to go to the dealer to fix.

Thanks

Angelod

Your problem is a stuck door latch switch. The switch is activated by the latch itself. It is mounted to the latch.

You need to figure out what door and then open the panel up. Normally it can be lubricated and then your good to go.

An easy way to eliminate the drivers door is to leave the keys in the ignition and close the doors. If the key chime is heard then the drivers door is the issue. If no chime, one of the three other doors...

I actually had this problem with one of my other cars and it ended up being that the tubing (the black plastic acordian looking thing) on the inside of the door was just bunched up not allowing the door to register as shut. I just unbunched it and it was fine.

I'm with CoastieJoe on this one. Back when I had my '98 Ranger this was the most asked question on the Ranger boards. Apparently it was very common on the Ranger's door latch switch. The fix from those boards was to spray some silicon lubricant onto the latch mechanism on the problem door. I always used WD-40 which worked fine. This quick fix typically last for about 3 months then you'll have to spray it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2000 Ranger used to have that problem. It was the door switch way inside the door that went bad. Some moisture got down in the door and messed up the switch. After the second time replacing it, we learned to not use WD40 near anything in the door. The WD40 also messed up the second switch. Just a thought.

Latest posts