Doesn't it figure!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
I just changed my oil yesterday and now my engine wants to act up! So I get over to my parents house to change my oil (5 qts of 5-w30 syth blend, 1 oil filter, can of seafoam for intake cleaning and also for the crankcase) like every 4000mi but TODAY it wants to piss me off. So I get into my truck today (everything has been great up until then) and I start the truck and notice its running a little rough but think nothing off it but as soon as I get onto the highway my "Check Engine" light starts to flash and BLAM! the truck is running badly. Stop at the first red light and it seems like it wants to stall (makes hick-up sounds and the truck shakes like it wants to stall) but when I'm driving its fine untill I hit about 40mph than starts to shake and untill I hit about 50mph it goes back to being fine. Checked my scan gauge and has no codes saved. Anyone have anything like this happen to them?

Thanks.

Have you checked to make sure the vacuum line didn't come loose (not off) the brake booster? Also, mine does that if I don't disconnect the battery after doing an air filter recharge for some reason. It's like the computer is trying to compensate for the more air or something. Try the battery disconnect. May have been the sorce of your "hiccup".;)

Checked the brake booster line and thats is ok and also disconnected the battery for 10mins. Still having the same issues :( but now the check engine light isnt flashing.

Well it just through some codes at me today! YAY!

P0305 Code - Cylinder #5 Misfire

P0180 Code - Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

Anyone have any clue what these could mean? Thanks.

P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.

Ignition system

Fuel injectors

Running out of fuel

EVAP canister purge valve

Fuel pressure

Evaporative emission system

Base engine

P0180 - Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Low Input (EFT) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the EFT sensor circuit to the PCM for low and high voltage. If voltage were to fall below or exceed a calibrated limit and amount of time during testing, the test will fail.

Open or short in harness.

Low ambient temperature operation.

Improper harness connection.

Damaged EFT sensor.

Damaged PCM.

For further referance to codes, you can look in my library. I have a link to the codes there.;)

Wow this doesn't sound fun :( Thanks again stone. If anyone has any information at stuff I can look at/have had this happen to them please reply.

I thought the same thing when I saw what the codes were for. Just didn't want to say it. I would (in my opinion) take it somewhere and have them look into it. To me it looks rough.;)

I know I took off my brake booster line to do the seafoam cleaning but I have checked that again and everything is fine. I will look over the engine one more time tomorrow before I start calling places. Don't know what else it could be tho I didnt touch any other connections.

Well took it in today they said it might be there till tomorrow depending on what they find. I'm not looking forward to this. I have about $800 to my name right now :(

Well if you have any luck like I do, when something seems REALLY bad it always ends up being a $14.00 part replacement :)

Good luck!

Well it wasn't $14.00. They called today and said I had a faulty spark plug in #5. They changed all the spark plugs out and they say it idles/runs like a dream now. They also noticed I've been riding on pretty bad front tie-rods (so bad it scared the guy that was working on it when he took it out on a test run) I guess I'm so use to it riding rough I though nothing of it. All and all about $600 (new spark-plugs and wires, 2 tie-rods, alignment and the bullshit $80 OBDII service charge :( when I knew what the codes where anyway BUT I'm glad it was nothing major.

(so bad it scared the guy that was working on it when he took it out on a test run)

They tell you that to scare you.

Having one spark plug fail is common. That is why it told you which cylinder was misfiring.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, though I think you paid too much.

Tom