Does an aftermarket intake increase MPG?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hey guys and gals, I am trying to get a little better MPG (aren't we all) and I want to either put on one of those cone intakes you see on ebay, or a drop in K&N factory replacement filter. I know quite a few of you on here have done these mods. Anyone notice a change in MPG? I don't care about increasing horsepower, the trac has enough power for me.

Thanks for any input!

yeah when i replaced mine with the intake from zabteck, personally, i had about a 1-1.5 mpg increase. better than nothin. im still very happy with it and it was well worth it

The majority at MySt believes the weight of your right foot has more influence on MPG than any engine modification.

Anytime a mod is added, people have the tendency to forget about mileage gains, and need to feel and hear their added power.

Eventually the novelty wears off, and start to drive "normal" again without jackrabbit starts.

I agree with Todd Z, if fuel mileage is your priority, make an effort to stay below 3K, especially when accelerating from a stop.

Monitor your tire pressure, as well. According to most, the XCAL3 Tuner will give you the best "bang for the buck", in terms of upgrades. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

I forgot to mention to keep your foot from going throught the floor board. Thanks for mentioning it. Can you get 22 mpg hwy doing 70 mph with a 3:73 rear end? I do use the cruise control when ever possible too. I can get between 350 - 400 miles on a 20 gal. tank full depending on the ration of city to hwy driving.

Thanks Rodger. I have always found your advice extremely helpful.

Between you, Todd Z, Eddie, and Barber, the most credible "Trackies" around.

Much appreciated, Happy Easter. :banana:

Roger (& Georgia) said:
Can you get 22 mpg hwy doing 70 mph with a 3:73 rear end?

Until I got more aggressive tires, yes. Over 70 mph and the mpg drops like a rock. When I went from the OE all-season tires (which were useless in snow) and put on A/T's I lost 2 mpg instantly. More rolling resistance.

I think you will get more improvement for your dollar with a cat-back exhaust than an intake.

K&N drop-in filter, Gibson cat-back, Mobil 1 0w-30, and Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case.

The only thought I ever have on this topic is simple, if using the aftermarket stuff we add to our vehicles made such a big difference wouldn't the manufacturers be more inclinded to do so, especially with the restrictions that exist and are being put on the manufacturers to produce vehicles that get better mileage.

I would think an open filter would be cheaper to make and add to a vehicle than the air boxes that currently exist. And if mileage were better because of it then there is yet more reason to do it.

Many here have experienced better/much better mileage after upgrading intake/exhaust/pcm and what not. I have done most of the performance mods and have never seen better mileage of any type. In fact, the best mileage I have ever gotten was when the trac was coming home for Louisville '03. I did have intake and exhaust but everything else was stock. According to my calculation I was getting about 25mpg highway. Only problem is, I couldn't reproduce it. There in lies the problem. If you can't reproduce it, then it's a fluke and that brings into question the value of the upgrade.

Keep in mind, none of this is to discourage anyone from upgrading, just be aware that everyones experience will be different. You should also consider how many miles you'll have to drive to get the value from the intake if it even makes a difference.

The only thing about the below logic is that most people would not maintain the cleaner and oil process correctly. Drop ins are supposed to be dummy proof and easy to maintain.

"The only thought I ever have on this topic is simple, if using the aftermarket stuff we add to our vehicles made such a big difference wouldn't the manufacturers be more inclinded to do so, especially with the restrictions that exist and are being put on the manufacturers to produce vehicles that get better mileage.

I would think an open filter would be cheaper to make and add to a vehicle than the air boxes that currently exist. And if mileage were better because of it then there is yet more reason to do it."

Hey Rodger. Yeah that's true, but it would be a trade off.

Matt, you make a reasonable point, but at least in the case of the K&N you're talking a million miles before the first cleaning/re-oiling. I don't see many cars making it that far. Moreover, the cleaning/re-oiling just becomes part of the oil change process if it's an issue.

Gavin said:
MPG makes a difference due to terrain. Us Ozarkers don't get as good of mileage as you flatlanders.

True dat. When I set my personal record of 23 mpg on a highway trip, I was in Florida. With all the hills in PA, that doesn't happen here at home.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Matt, you make a reasonable point, but at least in the case of the K&N you're talking a million miles before the first cleaning/re-oiling. I don't see many cars making it that far.

K&N's are supposed to last a million miles but you are to clean and oil them more often than that. I do mine once a year.

I can't really say I saw much difference in mpg after installing my MAC intake. Does make a really cool "whoosh" noise when I floor it though.

Latest posts