Do you think its totalled?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Long

Reaction score
My wife was involved in an accident this evening in her 2005 Mazda 6. A Toyota Camry in front of her ran into the back of a pickup truck, pushing the truck into a Saturn in front of him. My wife couldn't stop quick enough and ran into the back of the Camry. Thankfully, her and our girls are all okay aside from being a little sore. My wife also got a minor burn on her hand from her airbag going off. Everyone else seemed to be okay as well.

Anyway, her Blue Book value is about 13K for Private Party and 11K for Trade Value. Do you think it'll be totalled? Thankfully, we have gap insurance since we owe about 17K on the car due to some negative equity from our previous trade. I know, I know.... buying the car when we did wasn't the smartest thing to do, but that's beside the point now.

I'm out of town and won't be back until tomorrow evening, I plan on having the adjuster come on Wednesday morning. I'm trying to figure out if I need to be looking for a new car or not....

Here's the pics my wife sent me.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yeah, we've been pretty happy with the car. The only thing that really bothers me is the way the drive-by-wire works... the TB in the car is somewhat of a known issue and had to be replaced with a revised version, but its still not perfect as it tends to be a little jerky at times.

I would say that car is "toast". Glad to hear everyone is ok...could have been much much worse.

From the shock impact, if I were you, I'd have them go see your family doc to be safe. I'm sure they will be sore tomorrow as well.

Usually they go by 40% of the retail value of the car.

If the repairs go above that, they will total it.

As far as i have heard.

I would be real leary with airbag deployment.

There have been cases wher they will install

bad airbags when they replace them.

I would get an itemized list of parts used.

They should give them to you if they are

a reputable bodyshop.

Get three quotes if you can.

Don't just go to the bodyshop your insurance

company sends you to.

Remember, the Agent may be your friend,

but to the insurance company your only a

number.

Good Luck.

Fly by wire! You have to try out the 2009 Escapes. We had one that was so bad we had to bring it back in the shop to get it reflashed or something like that. Its a nice system but man it is bad at times.

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

Well...

It is nearly perfectly up the middle. Because of that, it may NOT be totaled.

From the shots, I am not seeing a clear issue with torque or twist to the anybody.

If it truly is up the middle damage and the inner unibody is NOT twisted, I would say it is fixable and not for HUGE dollars.

You need a front clip/cut-off. If that is all you need, I would bet that it is fixable for 7 grand or so with all of the labor and mounts and things to this nature...

Well, I got home this evening and was able to examine the car a little better, although it was already dark out. Here's what I've found it'll need without digging too much:

1) Bumper,grill, foam, supports, braces, etc

2) Both fenders

3) Both headlights and foglights

4) Radiator, condensor, supports

5) Airbox, engine cover, possibly power steering resevoir

6) Both doors will need some attention, as well as the a-pillars (mostly paint)

7) Hood and latch

8) The motor appears to have hit the firewall, as the insulation has a few tears where it made contact. The motor mounts probably should be replaced if it was moved that much I would think.

9) Driver's airbag and seatbelt (should all the belts be replaced? 3 were in use, plus one had an infant seat strapped in for the child that my wife babysits)

10) I can see some signs of the body being tweaked by looking at the gaps at the trunk lid, rear bumper cover and rear doors. Its not bad, but I know the gaps weren't like that before.

I'm sure there'll be more, plus lots of little bits and pieces.... I'm still waiting for the appraiser to set up a time, hopefully he'll make it out in the morning.

My wife is pretty sore today, she might go see the doc in the morning if she's not better. The kids appear fine, aside from still being a little shook up. My 3 year old didn't even want to get near the car while I was out looking at it. I finally coaxed her over and explained things better, she seems okay with it now.:cool: The car definitely did its job well, back in the old days there'd probably at least have been a broken nose or two and many more lumps and bruises.

Get all your personal belongins out and remove anythng of value, this car is headed to the crusher...

y wife is pretty sore today, she might go see the doc in the morning if she's not better. The kids appear fine, aside from still being a little shook up

I have heard that kids not getting sore is common, this is due to them not being aware of the impact that is about to happen, so they don't tense up like adults do. Staying loose and relaxed is what keeps them from getting injured. I think that might be the same reason that drunks so often make it out of crashes unharmed.

Well....... it's done. They estimated the value of the car at 15K and the damage at $12,200. They're giving me $14,500 after my $500 deductible and my GAP coverage will pick the the extra $2k we owe.

We're going shopping later this afternoon, so far I've got my eye on a 2007 Toyota Highlander Sport (3.3 V6), a few different Mazdas, a couple of Ford Edges and a Volvo S60 that I've found online around here.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the vehicle, but at least you had the gap insurance so now you are starting on a new to you car without the added negative equity.

I liked the Edge alot when I replaced the ST, but I really wanted something with more ground clearance for when I take the ATV out. Mazda 3 and 6 are both nice also, I have driven them as rental units on business trips. Not sure on the Highlander, I have the 4Runner with the 4.0 v6 and it makes me happy, especially with the gas mileage. Odd thing is, I only get about 1 mpg more on the highway (~75 mph) than I am getting in town.

Good luck on your shopping..... there are some good deals out there right now, you may want to look at new vehicles too.

Latest posts