Do you text and Drive..watch this very moving video...and please stop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_BqFkRwdFZ0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't text and drive, and will not even attempt to read text messages or emails I receive while driving. If I am stopped at a traffic light, I might check to see who texted me, but that only takes one tap on my phone. I hate texting on those little keyboards even when I'm not driving.:angry:

I have a bluetooth hands-free systems built into both of my vehicles and I use that to answer incoming calls, and I use the voice command features to make calls. All of my calls are short and mostly to tell them I am driving and will call back later.

Unless the auto makers and cellphone makers work together to devolpe a way to disable texting and emails while the vehicle is moving, this will continue to be a problem.

...Rich

Unless the auto makers and cellphone makers work together to devolpe a way to disable texting and emails while the vehicle is moving, this will continue to be a problem

There's an app for that. I use one called "Safe Texting". It works with the GPS (speedometer) on my phone, and locks the screen so you cant check anything. Of course, you can set it if you are going to be a passenger and have access.

Sondra

Last edited by a moderator:
Sondra,

I think you missed the whole point of my post.

If you downloaded the app, you probably would not have been texting while driving anyway. The idiots who want to text and drive will not download and install the app on their phones, so the fact that the app exists means nothing.

That's why I think the Auto makers and Cellphone companies need to incorporate the disable feature to prevent idiots from texting while driving....and too bad if a passenger cannot text while the vehicle is in motion. It might also be good for someone to develop an aftermarket device that can be installed on older cars that will disable the texting/email. If that can be done, it might be become a state requirement for vehicle registration.

...Rich

Sondra,

I think you missed the whole point of my post.

If you downloaded the app, you probably would not have been texting while driving anyway. The idiots who want to text and drive will not download and install the app on their phones, so the fact that the app exists means nothing.

That's why I think the Auto makers and Cellphone companies need to incorporate the disable feature to prevent idiots from texting while driving....and too bad if a passenger cannot text while the vehicle is in motion. It might also be good for someone to develop an aftermarket device that can be installed on older cars that will disable the texting/email. If that can be done, it might be become a state requirement for vehicle registration.

...Rich

I don't text and drive. I don't think my phone has texting. I don't think the cord is even long enough to drive very far with it. I however, have to admit that I sometimes fly my helicopter while talking on the phone. The worst accident I had tho was running into the fan in the living room.

Maybe I should get one of those Obama phones, can you drive or text with them?

Richard L, I definitely understand your idea, and agree that it would be great if something could be developed--but it will never be something which is based solely on speed of travel. There are too many legitimate uses of texting/data transmission while traveling at a legitimate speed for them to ever do it. Not only would it impact car passengers who aren't driving, but also passengers on busses, trains, etc. Not to mention emergency vehicles. And, it would require all texting phones to have GPS capabilities, and to have them turned on--many phones with texting ability either don't have GPS, or the GPS is enough of a battery pig that people turn it off except when needed.

That's not to say that there might not be a good alternative out there which might be good for some applications. For example (and this is completely off the top of my head, so don't shoot too many holes in it), a phone which parents can program to always have the GPS turned on whenever the phone is on, combined with a device that parents could put on the ignition of their kids' cars which detects the presence of the phone and prevents the car from starting unless the phone is turned off first. I'm sure there are many other better ideas from minds better than mine, already at work in the phone companies and auto manufacturers. But to completely block all texting from any phone moving faster than a certain speed would be like putting an ignition interlock on every vehicle in the country in an effort to curb drunk driving.

Bill V.

I am not proposing that the text blocking be linked to the GPS? I am talking about a signal sent all cellphones in the passenger cabin that blocks texting when the vehicle is moving...that can be linked to the vehicles speedometer/speed sensor.

This would not apply to trains, buses, or perhaps not even taxis.

Your idea of disabling the vehicle until the phone is turned of is also good, but I think talking on a phone in a vehicle with a bluetooth hands-free device is not any more dangerous than talking to a passenger in your car and a recent study by the NHTSA shows that to be true. Texting is a serious distraction, talking on a hands-free phone is far less distracting for most people....but there are some people who cannot walk and chew gum. I would agree to blocking the cellphone signal if the phone is not connected via a bluetooth hands-free system. I think the only exception would be 911 calls.

...Rich

Rich, I now understand what you meant--thanks for the clarification.

While I agree that having the driver text is far worse than having a driver talking on a phone, I would think that having a driver talking on the phone, even hands-free, is worse than having a passenger texting.

Regarding my idea of disabling the vehicle until the phone is off, I agree with you that for most people, it should be OK to talk with a hands-free device. Which is why the idea I was tossing out would never be "required" for all cars/drivers. (Unless something were to happen which resulted in it being court-ordered in specific cases.) Instead, my main idea was for it to be a tool for parents, who don't want their kids talking on the phone while driving, even if they're hands-free, as I suspect younger drivers have far more safety issues being on the phone (even hands-free) while driving than most more-experienced drivers. Or maybe it's customizable--the parent can choose whether it prevents just texting, or also non-bluetooth calls, or all activity. Like I said, lots of possibilities needing to be worked out. :)

(Side note--I don't have any references, or know who performed the study, but I recall seeing a study a while back which did find that talking on a hands-free device is more dangerous than talking to a passenger in the car. The study found that if the driver gets distracted by a conversation with the passenger, the passenger can still observe and react to events outside the car, which pulls the driver out of that distracted state. However, if the conversation is with someone on the phone, that person obviously cannot provide such feedback. That's not saying that I feel that hands-free phone usage should be prohibited--When used responsibly, I'm all for it. But I suspect we've all seen plenty of people who are driving who are too distracted by their hands-free to be considered safe on the road.)

My phone can be completely controlled by voice command, even to wake it up. It also has a built in "driving mode" in which it will verbally announce any alerts, such as an incoming call or text. It tells you whose calling or who sent you a text, and it tells a caller that you're driving and will get back with them soon, and it will send a reply text automatically with a similar message for incoming texts. It can also be setup to automatically enter driving mode when it detects my SYNC blue-tooth connection. As to Rich's point, all of this is optional, and it's up to the phone owner to use these. I don't use it often.

This is what I foresee. Most smart phones are already equipped to be excellent tracking devices. They can also be made to log all inputs/usage. Texting will become like drunk driving. It will be illegal; the cops can pull you over (or arrive at the scene of your accident) and check your phone to see if you indeed typed a text while the car was moving and you were in the driver's seat. You will get a serious fine/jail time and be held to a higher account for liability, such as manslaughter charges for killing someone accidentally. Disabling the tracking or useage log will also incur fines. Politicians, sports stars, and hot blondes will get free passes.

Like drunk driving, these measures will have an effect, but will not cure habitual texters, nor keep someone from texting on impulse or when he thinks he won't get caught. Way more people will do it than will admit to it.:driving:

nvstatewolfpacker,

If your phone has all those features that would be sufficient, however, if you can disable any or all those restrictions, then they are worthless in preventing texting while driving.....IE: if you never connect your cellphone to your BlueTooth Sync it cannot prevent you from texting while driving.....and there are many new vehicles on that are not bluetooth compatible. I think it would be great if the cellphone could recognize a bluetooth vehicle connection and automatically disable the texting features of the cellphone. It might be OK to alert the cellphone that a msg was received, but not display the msg when the vehicle is moving.

That's why it's important for both the auto makers and cellphone companies to come up with a joint solution to block texting when the vehicle is in motion, and preventing voice calls unless the vehicle is equiped with a hands-free to cellphone connection.

I think this is doable with today's technology and only requires the auto makers and cellphone makers to agree on a common standard.

...Rich

nvstatewolfpacker,

If your phone has all those features that would be sufficient, however, if you can disable any or all those restrictions, then they are worthless in preventing texting while driving.....IE: if you never connect your cellphone to your BlueTooth Sync it cannot prevent you from texting while driving.....and there are many new vehicles on that are not bluetooth compatible. I think it would be great if the cellphone could recognize a bluetooth vehicle connection and automatically disable the texting features of the cellphone. It might be OK to alert the cellphone that a msg was received, but not display the msg when the vehicle is moving.

That's why it's important for both the auto makers and cellphone companies to come up with a joint solution to block texting when the vehicle is in motion, and preventing voice calls unless the vehicle is equiped with a hands-free to cellphone connection.

I think this is doable with today's technology and only requires the auto makers and cellphone makers to agree on a common standard.

...Rich

I think some people can multitask much more safely than others. I am not a proponent of drivers texting, but I do see some folks talking on a cell phone (especially hands-free) and they appear to be well-engaged in the driving. I also see other folks talking on cell phones going about 50 MPH in a 70MPH road, totally oblivious to the long line of cars and drivers honking, flashing their headlights, and giving them the finger behind them.

The problems are not limited to cell phones. Changing a radio station, reading a book, dealing with children, drinking and eating, makeup, shaving, having sex, etc. all are distractions that some drivers can handle and some cannot.

I am opposed to universal laws that apply to all drivers to resolve individual capability issues.

Don't need more nanny government stuff in my car, thank you. Driving can be a distracting experience if you allow it to be, whether it is eating, reading a map, fiddling with the radio, having a conversation with a passenger, day-dreaming, etc. I don't want action police, thought police and nanny-state stepping in and limiting what I can do, when.

Now, with that said, texting will driving should be avoided.

TJR

TJR,

Now, with that said, texting will driving should be avoided

Not AVOIDED, Not just Frowned upon, but simply NEVER DONE while driving !

Gavin,

I share your concern about too many government regulations, however safety laws that directly impact and improve safety are good. I don't like laws or restrictions that only result in the government increasing their revenue and not solving any safety issues when there may be a minimally invasive technology that eliminates or reduces the danger

People are not supposed to drink and drive yet every day, people are driving drunk and people are getting killed or injured by drunk drivers. Some people are addicted to alcohol

Texting is not much different...many young people are addicted to texting?even texting their friends who are standing right next to them??? Everyone who does a lot of texting thinks they are great multitaskers....The truth is that most people think they are better multitaskers than they really are. People who claim to be multitaskers think they can do 2 or more things at once, but that is not what they are doing. They are really only quickly switching their mental focus from one task to another. When they are texting, they are not driving?.The vehicle is moving but they are not physically or mentally in control of the vehicle?.the vehicle is essentially on auto-pilot.

Driving is not a task that should be done while doing something else that may take your eyes off the road so frequently. The moment they take their eyes off the road they can miss a potential accident situation about to happen. Texting takes a lot of eye movement, finger coordination, and mental focus. While driving the temptation is to text a few more letters or words when it appears to be clear and safe around you and that takes your focus off driving for far too long.

There are exceptions, but most people can talk and listen while safely driving because the can still keep looking and focusing on the road ahead and the traffic conditions around them. However, emotional conversations or arguments while driving can be extremely distracting to most people.

The people we have all seen driving slow while talking on a cell phone are overly distracted by either the conversation, or by the fact that they are doing an additional task of holding the phone. So now they are driving, holding the phone, talking, listening and perhaps the conversation may require more mental focus than they can handle at one time?

The NHTSA study ranked various driving distractions and found that talking on a hands-free cell phone about the same or slightly less of a distraction as talking to a passenger in the car. Even adjusting the radio and other vehicle controls were low level distractions.

The single worse driving distraction was reading/writing Text Messages and emails.

...Rich

Bill V,

I agree that you cannot hold a Text sender responsible for an accident because the driver who got the text decided to try to read or reply to that text and got into an accident.

I think that the Auto makers and cell phone companies could come up with a method of blocking text while the vehicle is moving or the ignition is on. It would not be too hard to automatically send a text message back to the original text msg sender that the recipient is in a "No Text Zone" and unable to send or receive text or email messages. This technology might even be applied to other job sites, or dangerous, unsafe environments where texting poses a safety issue like construction sights, etc....something like a WiFi signal that phones pickup as a "No Text Zone"???

Gee....I think this idea is getting better and better...:grin:

....Rich

Rich L, I agree that what you propose would be a great idea if it could be developed. But I suspect that technology which would block texting within the vehicle, but also NOT block it for a larger range outside the vehicle, would be very difficult to achieve. Even with an extremely short signal-blockiing range, you'd put sidewalk cafes worldwide out of business, as every passing car would cause the restaurant patrons to lose texting abilities. :)

Latest posts