Disk brake conversion in done....PICTURES!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale, Actually I did those myself. I will check yours out tomorroww. If I like them better, I will use them. Thanks again.

Rodger, I am actually waiting for some Bilstein shocks to become available for my Trac. The Reflex shocks are nice, but nothing like KYB's or Bilsteins. I almost went with the KYB's when I got the Reflex, but decided on the Reflex bacause I really want Billsteins.

Tom

I know questions are going to fly in, so I will anticipate some and answer them right now.

Q: What kit did you use?

A: It is a Ford Motorsport M-2300-G "5-LUG LOW COST REAR DISC BRAKE KIT LATE FORD 9" AND 8.8" TRUCK AXLE HOUSING"

Q: What is this kit based off and if I need replacement parts like Calipers, Rotors, and Pads, what do I do?

A: The kit is based off a 1996 Explorer rear disc on a 8.8" 31 spline rear end. If you need any replacement parts, just tell them it is a 1996 Explorer.

Q: What did the kit come with?

A: The kit came with Pads (I did not use them), rotors, backing plate/caliper mount, calipers, and all hardware such as bolts, slides, pins, etc.

Q: You said you did not use the pads, why and what pads did you use?

A: I did not use the pads because they were rivited semi-metallic pads. I used Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads.

Q: What extra's did you buy to make everything work?

A: I had to buy the flex lines. I had to make a steel line that goes from the left side to the right side. Ford does not service that line, so I had to bend one myself. I also got two banjo bolts, 4 copper washers, and I will need to get the parking brake cables.

Q: Were there anything extra you got that you really didn't need?

A: I took out the bleeder screws and used Speed Bleeders. I like being able to loosen one at a time, get in the drivers seat and pump the brakes to bleed them. I then tighten them up and I am done. They will come in real handy when I flush the brake fluid. All I will need to do is suck out the old fluid out of the Master Cylinder, add new fluid, then pump the old fluid using the speed bleeders and I have fresh brake fluid in the whole system.

Q: Were there any problems with the ABS working?

A: The ABS sensor for the rear axle is in the differential. Upon hard braking, you can hear the rear brakes slightly squeal. That is the brakes operating at the maximum limits. You get the best braking that way.

Q: Did you replace the axle seal when you pulled the axle?

A: You bet I did! A seal is cheap insurance. It is already apart, why take the chance if it leaking and have to tear everything apart to replace it?

Q: Why fluid did you use in the rear differential?

A: I used AMSOIL 75W140 gear oil with a bottle of AMSOIL friction modifier.

Q: Would you do it all over again?

A: Without a doubt!

Q: What did you pay for the kit?

A: I paid $200.00. The kit was a return at Summit Racing Equipment. The only thing broken on the kit was one of the parking brake shoes had a chip on the friction surface. It is no big deal since the parking brake just holds the vehicle in place. It isn't used for any braking.

Q: Do you think I could build my own kit for less then the $375.00 retail price of the kit?

A: Honestly, no. Rebuilt calipers will cost about $50.00/each. Add another $50.00 for a core charge for the caliper. That is $200.00 for calipers alone. Rotors are about $25.00/each for decent ones. The backing plate I am unable to find a price of, but I bet they are $50.00 to $75.00 each. So, the total of everything should be about $300.00 to $400.00. If you plan on using the pads that come with the kit, you are just about even. The kit came with just about every bolt you would possibly need.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great and is something that would be well worth the monet. I can't beleive that somrthing as upscale as the sport trac doesn't come with rear disc brakes as standard equipment.:huh:

In 2001 and 2002, the Trac came with drum brakes in the back. Ford fixed the problem in 2003 and started putting discs in the back.

Dive, no reason the change the master cylinder. The one for the 2002 and 2003 are the same.

Tom

Latest posts