Dish Network or Direct TV?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WXMotorSports DecalsPartsAccs

Reaction score
I'm tired of Comcast Digital Cable. The slow response time to change a channel (when it actually lets you change a channel) is driving me crazy. Also, they new format is a pain get to other channels. I used to be able to hit 55 and it goes right to it. Now 55 then press select. And, if you don't do that quick enough it just stays on the same channel.

I have coupons for Direct TV and Dish Network who is better? I know Direct TV is coming online with 145 HD channels.

Thanks in advance.

I went from cable to Direct TV. It has been really great so far. No reception problems, just punch in the channel numbers and it goes directly there. Excellent picture. I know of people leaving Dish Network and switching to Direct TV. But I have no experience with the Dish Network to make a fair comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Time Warner Cable and ready to dump them for their rates and lousy customer service.

My neighbors have had both Direct TV and Dish Network.....now they have the dishes still mounted on their roofs and have gone back to TW.

I'm now considering AT&T U-verse

TV U200 @ $74 per mo

TV U300 @ 94 " "

TV U400 @ 114 " "

I want to stay away from the dish setup for the stories I've heard from friends and neighbors

Had Direct TV for 7 years. Evertime I made a change to the service, they tacked me with another year commitment. Finally, dumped them. Also a problem with the nuber of TV's you have.

Not trying to sell AT&T since I'm still considering them, but with the U400 package, you get:

* Over 320 digital TV channels, encluding local and 34 music channels

* 49 premium movie channels including HBO and Cinemax

* The Sports Package, including Fox College Sports plus The Sportsman Channel, Go TV (whatever that is) Horseracing TV and more.

* No Contract Term

* up to 3 U-verse receivers included and a DVR unit.......the receivers and DVR are also included with the other packages as well.

If interested, more info can be found at

Had cable tv - not Comcast - before moving and was not thrilled at all with the service, had a nightmare install. Where we live now is in Comcast's service area. We chose DirecTV over the other two. I've been pretty satisfied.

There had been some apprehension about how good the reception would be - we're in the mountains and had been told that tv pictures get fuzzy when it's windy or raining, but after nearly a year I'm happy with it.

Have not lost signal anymore than with the cable, probably a little less when I think on it. Gets a little shaky when storms come through, but when we lived in the suburbs and storms came thru we had problems with the cable, trees would go down and take the cable out.

D-

AT&T is in the neighborhood now installing fiber. When they are finished I want to see what they offer. Maybe then I will dump TW (cable and Inet) to try AT&T is the package is good enough.

We have DirecTV. We've received numerous HD channels in the past week or two. We used to only have a few, but they turned a bunch more on and we get a lot. We only lose signal in heavy storms, but Charter cable would go out for no reason at all. We like DirecTV much better.

I guess I'll be the first to say I like Dish Network. I live in an area where you can not even get cable so about a year ago we got Dish as we were tire of just the three channels of local broadcast. So far it has been good, we did have a couple little problems at first with reimbursment related to their promotions but as soon as I brought it to their attention it was taken care of. I will say it seems that with both Dish and Direct TV and probable most others there are some great deals and promos for new customers but nothing for existing customers. Also they can and will change package line ups (add channels, delete channels)and change fees and you pretty much have no choice but to go along with it (or get a new service).

I guess in my area (North Dallas) since we get so many storms and some pretty sevier, it messes with the dish systems. TWC also goes out during some of them or some tech yanks a wire someplace and the entire city signal goes down.

I'm using TWC for both TV and the internet......I can't complain for the speed with it, but not looking to have to go with something slower such as with AT&T

A guy that I know installs a dish and box.......$200 flat....no monthy fees or service to deal with. Of course not legal, but a pretty good deal since it includes parts and installation. :)

I'll be the first to say that I dislike both Direct TV and Dish.

They do not allow customers to upgrade, use third party companies for install, frequently do not work during bad weather, require you to sign a contract, they DO have a long pause between channels, and you have to have a receiver for every TV. Also, if you have a cable modem, you have to switch back to DSL which also means getting a phone line if you don't have one.

But from the two, Direct TV is better. Dish is not offered everywhere because if its satellite position. Direct TV you can buy the receivers from Circuit City.

Comcast has local service centers in every major city their service is offered, is fairly reliable, allows customers to upgrade/downgrade services/equipment without to much hassle, has great internet speed, allows you to connect most TVs directly and receive the first 99 channels, has hundreds of movies for free on demand, and does not require you sign a contract.

One thing satellite does have better then cable: Cable is limited on its HD channels because of its bandwidth. The way I understand it, until they start getting rid of regular (analog) channels, they can not add HD channels. I don't think satellite suffers from this illness.

My 2 cents.

They both (all) suck.

I got tired of constant rate increases and very poor quality reception if Mediacom cable TV, so I switched to Dish TV. Dish picture and sound quality are excellent, but it does lose the signal whenever a thunderstorm comes by. In the second month, the signal collector thingy on the dish filled up with water and had to be replaced (free). I miss the local channels (government access, etc.) and I miss having the local weather channel forecast information. There are lots of worthless channels (like cable TV) too. There seem to be so many channels and choices that I don't easily get a good handle on what there is to watch, so I probably miss out on alot of good stuff.

I had to switch my ISP from Mediacom High Speed Network to Embarq DSL. Besides the usual E-mail address change hassles, DSL is much slower service than Mediacom. The Embarq DSL techs are just as clueless and unhelpful as the Mediacom High Speed techs were.

I am coming to the conclusion that you get what you pay for, and you have to pay a lot to get anything. All the service options (at least around here) suck.

For more info on Dish/Direct that you will ever need try Satelliteguys.us. There are very knowledgeable people who can let you know about both services.

We have had Dish Network for at least 10 years. We have good service with little problems. We started out with the basic receivers, then upgraded to recording ones. We had them for a couple of years before the satellite went out. They came and replaced the dish, then the switch, but that still didn't fix the problem. Come to find out both receivers went bad at the same time and that fixed the problem. When we moved last year to my old home, we called them to install a dish there. They installed an upgraded dish and gave us 2 more recordable receivers for only $10.00 more a month for both of them. Now my wife can watch her show, our grandson his, I can watch mine and we have 1 extra. The only real problem we have is when there is a bad storm, sometimes we will lose the signal. We also have super, super low basic cable for those times. It is only $10.00 a month.

DesertFox:

I wouldn't recommend U-Verse (yet) I've had it about a 2 months now. While it isn't bad, it just isn't great. I wanted it because it was an upgrade (internet wise) from Time Warner. The TV service is decent, but the set top boxes, have some issues, and they still have the network throttled down to low. Once they up it, it should do well. But right now it's only ok.

I've had DirectTV for about 3 years now. I really like NFL Sunday ticket and the DVR receiver. Non-HD picture quality is very good. The audio-only music channels are surprisingly good, making it worthwhile to hook the receiver to a stereo system.

We occassionally loose signal during a bad storm, but it's about on par with the number of times cable TV (Charter) used to go out.

Customer service by phone is not great, but once you get a DirectTV service rep to your house, they take care of business quickly and efficiently.