Did some towing today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Did some towing with the ST today. I towed my parents 24' pontoon boat from the lake to their house. ST handled VERY well. I wish it had more power going up the hills but it towed the load pretty well. Below are some pics.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And one by the lake!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have often wondered how well my '04 would pull my dads 24' pontoon. I have always let someone else do it when we go up to the lake.

Question.. couldnt you put over load leaf springs on the sport trac. so that when you hitch up the trailer the back of the ST wont sink down, and it would make the sporttrac look more level.. my dad did that to our crew cab F250 years ago.. so it could bare the load.. of the trailer and the load of the camper when he put that on.. just wondering.. might be a foolish question. but im just wondering..

ladybug,

IMO, it is better to do what I did. Get airbags on the back. When no load, let the air out and it is like there is nothing installed. If you need to level it out, just add air until level.

I have them and I absolutly love it.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Yes if I towed a heavy load as shown more often I would definitely invest in some airbags for the rear. But even without, the ST still handled pretty well.

Looks like you have a lift and bigger tires, so that will slow it down especially when towing, until you regear it.

Very nice pics of the ST. I've towed sevearl similar sized boats. The lack of power is noticable, but not a significant problem. The handling and braking is quite good, despite the size difference between the trailer and the ST.

Latest posts