Did some audio projects today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Last week I applied Dynamat around each door speaker and today I disected the rear panel and applied Dynamat around there. I had bought 3 boxes of the stuff but used up just 1!

The other project of the day was to put carpet on my 8" JDBox subwoofer enclosure. Didn't turn out too bad if I do say so myself.

[Broken External Image]:

One thing I noticed is one corner of the box is bulging out due to water leakage, maybe? There is a rubber drain hose that comes down from the ceiling along the C-pillar and inserts into an elbow going to the rear. I noticed it was disconnected but I can't determine if I had knocked it loose during the project or not. But my guess is it was at least loose dripping some water onto the box. Examine the pics and think about checking yours!

Disconnected:

[Broken External Image]:

Connected:

[Broken External Image]:

Tomorrow I will finish up with some rewiring. Hopefully I will get rid of the electronic whine I sometimes hear through the speakers.

Special thanks to Ray Witczak for his door panel removal project, and special thanks to Kevin Palmer for his factory subwoofer install project which makes note of how to remove the rear compartment.

Do you have a link to these panel removal links? I am getting ready to install the following in my Trac adn these link could really help.

Kenwood DDX6019 DVD Reciever $599

Kicker ZX700.5 Amplifier $217

Infinity Reference 6820cs $199

Infinity Reference6822cf $49

MTX Thunderform $239 - If it fits. May go for custom box and two 8's if it does not.

Debating on adding the Nav unit for $330 since I already have a portable Garmin.

How much polyfil should I stuff in the box?

.3 cubic inches = ~.3 lbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
~.3 lbs is right, make sure it isn't touching the speaker though. Buy the sheet stuff and stuff it into the back so you can staple it in place.

Too late, I've got the cotton candy stuff. Do I mat this stuff down then? I thought I just had to stuff the box with the fluff.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just want to make sure that it doesn't get sucked into the speaker. So make sure it's out of the way and if you can hold it in place somehow.

If it gets sucked into the speaker it could possibly cause the motor to overheat. Unlikely but possible.

Thanks JD. I just sprayed some 3M in the back and matted down some Poly-Fil towards the rear and away from the sub. This thing is hitting much harder now! Thanks for the tips...and the box! It just wouldn't be the same without all that bass.

I did some tuning too and turns out that the whine I was hearing was coming from my Alpine 4-channel amp. Had to turn down the gain on it some. More fine tuning tomorrow plus some creative re-wiring and amp mounting so that I can stow the jack in the compartment again. Right now they don't fit in there plus I can't mount the comparment doors.

All this stuff used to be so intimidating, but with some guidance and a little encouragement, it all becomes part of the hobby.