details on STA AWD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. First, Merry Christmas to all.

Second, where can i find detailed info on how the AWD works on my 08 STA. From the way it handles in snow, i'm pretty sure all 4 wheels dont drive equally... and the ESP kicks in when i spin.

It seems there is more power diverted to the rear wheels cause i can get it to spin donuts like a RWD

Searched the posts but no answers

thxs

If I remember corectly ,the drivetrain is a 60/40 split with the rear drive being the primary drive. when your rear tires start to spin ,the transfer case transfers the drive to the front wheel until the rear end gets traction ,then it goes back to rear wheel drive mode.

I have been doing this now for several day now in the snow and am quite pleased with its performance. it handles the snow and slush very well.

You are correct that not all 4 wheels engage. I believe when going foward its the right rear and left front that have traction and when backing up its the left rear and the right front that engages.

I guess this is what Ford calls AWD and of course our rear end doesn't have a limited slip carrier.

From what I understand, it's more like 90% rear drive 10% front drive. It's an intelligent AWD system. It can transfer energy around in any combination. The TC enhances it further. This is true with the Lincoln MKX, MKS, and MKZ. I was told that it's the exact same system in the Mountaineer and ST.

You can set it to lock as 4x4 from the start-up menu on the message center.

However, It performs much better in AWD than 4x4 mode in just about any normal adverse weather situation imo.

Latest posts