Deloreans Everywhere!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wikipedia's not always 100% accurate.

User generated content - much like 98% of the internet - can never be 100% accurate.

That's why Universities will never accept Wikipedia as a legitimate reference. IMO High Schools shouldn't either (not sure if they do or not).

Interesting. I didn't know that. Any a better source of general info online? Thanks Guys, SWS

Last edited by a moderator:
User generated content - much like 98% of the internet - can never be 100% accurate.

True, but it can be important. Since the advent of twitter's takeoff (it's retarded IMO) the notion of having so many people online that a question asked can be answered by a real person instead of a search engine has been becoming less and less of a pipe dream, and that is partially why Microsoft bought part of Facebook, and Google is focusing on Google Wave...

"What would you rather have--one person with real experiences give you a specific answer, backed by testimonial, or a search engine spit out 25,000 possible answers?"

Wikipedia has its uses if nothing more than a compendium of actual "trustworthy" sources. For years the Student has known that a quick way to meet source requirements is to hit up the wiki article and copy its sources into his own bibliography ;)

For instance, the New York Times also claims that Delorean died. Is that good enough?

Wikipedia still brags of having less errors per article than the Encyclopedia Britannica, and ironically the founder of wiki who claimed that user generated content would be self-policing and accurate is the one who gave many reason to doubt wikipedia when he, Jimmy Wales, infamously altered an article to include incorrect information.

(Sadly, the wiki article on him only includes PART of the controversy here :( )

Now if those vaunted academic databases had searches that were as precise and accurate as Wiki's, then maybe they could be viable alternatives, but we all know that they suck. They've got a guaranteed customer in the wiki-bashing, google-hating, public internet-source loathing academic community, so where is their incentive to not suck?

Tis sad, because it was a cool car, though I have extreme doubts about a fiberglass frame, but it would be nice to see more compact RWD cars. I see quite a few Fieros now, it's sad that they all died out in America. The odds of finding a RWD car, a manual transmission car, or a RWD with a manual are so low in America :(

Snopes says Wikipedia's accurate...LOL!!

Geez. There's a credibility killer. That's like North Korea telling the US people that National Health Care is 100% the way.

The only thing less credible than Snopes is Obama's administration. Probably all politicians, but definitely b hussein's reign.

Yeah, some seem to feel it's not real it it hasn't passed the snopes test. And Wikipedia has too much public input to be credible IMO! It would be nice to have a source you could trust. I treat almost anything from anyone with suspicion at least at 1st. I've been snookered to many times.

Shaun t said:
That's why Universities will never accept Wikipedia as a legitimate reference. IMO High Schools shouldn't either (not sure if they do or not).

Regarding the accuracy of Wikipedia, you might want to consider your own accuracy. You just made an assertion which you cannot prove. NEVER is an awfully long time. No one can make claims of what will NEVER happen with 100% accuracy (did I just make such a claim? - HA).

In a recent review, Wikipedia was sampled and considered for accuracy against the Encyclopedia Britianica and was found to have roughly the same rate of errors as that widely reverred source.

As for universities accepting Wikipedia as a source, no reputable university should allow ANY encyclopedia as a source. However, like any other encyclopedia, Wikipedia is a good starting point from which to find a credible roadmap of other sources; sources that can then be reviewed and considered for use in research and in papers.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to have a nice Deloren. An odd piece of history that wouldn't be quite as well known if it weren't featured in "Back to the Future" and it's sequals..IMO! It is in the same league to me as the Bricklin.....Another automotive oddity. Still like to own either of these cars. I think some Bricklins had 351 Clevelands in them.

'07 ST:D

351 windsors actually, Bricklins can be bought pretty cheap.

Is a company back east that bought all the delorean Inventory, they can build you a brand new one, as I recall for about 25 K.

Funny, I saw a DeLorean driving here in Tallahassee today. Made a point to pull up beside it just to see if the driver was dressed as Doc Brown. He wasn't.

Latest posts