Deer in Yard

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
I had a decent size eight point buck in the back yard tonight. Kind of surprised that he hasn't dropped his antlers yet. I was wondering what has been setting off the motion lights on the back garage and tonight I finally saw him. He must be either getting used to the lights or his hunger has taken over. There is a hosta growing near the back door of the attached garage and he was eating the leaves within five feet of the house. Maybe I can get some good photos once he gets used to the flash. :grin:

Trail cam!

The does have already adjusted to our house being in what used to be my large food plot. Haven't seen a buck in the back yard yet but they are moving around in the same areas as before we built. Bucks never really visited this site even when it was a food plot, though.

My concern for deer in the yard right now is how they're going to affect my garden. That's what I'm doing up so late right now: planning out what I'm going to buy tomorrow. I'm going to work the other food plot (the only existing one now) a little later, money permitting, so maybe they'll be less interested in my food.

My wife wanted to create a lush hibiscus wall around our back patio. We get some cold weather here, so she was prepared to do the things necessary to protect them during cold spells. We planted about 2 dozen. About a week later, the deer found them - I'd never seen deer or evidence of deer in the back yard, and we've had hostas for years. In fact, the hostas were still untouched, but they are right up next to the house. After we noticed the damage, I saw tracks and droppings all over.

A neighbor down the street with a beautiful back yard told me she had been fighting with deer for years. She uses hair from a local barber, motion sensing sprinklers, and a back yard dog to fend them off - and still gets visits from time to time. I put some motion lights and some hair around them, and they stopped coming for a while. But they came back, and long story short - they won. Think I'm planting roses this year. ---->deer:btddhorse:

Latest posts