Deer Hide Tanning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Anyone have any inputs on Deer hide tanning? I am sick of seeing them go to waste and am going to give it a shot. I will try on with hair and one hairless. I think my easiest option is

ash and lime to remove the hair and then alum and neatfoot oil for the tanning....

Should be fun!

BTW I got 2 doe skins to do;)

Joseymack

Congrats on the does! I prefer doe venison over buck. I got 2 does on Dec 5th. :cool:

My brother-in-law tanned a buck hide for me (a surprise) last year using this stuff from Cabela's. It turned out really nice. Good luck.

I took a deer into the place where I get the meat processed, and asked them what they did with the hides. Turns out, they are all used. Made me happy to know that. They had a separate room where they are all spread out and covered with salt or some concoction.

You could get a one month membership to a tanning salon and every day go put you deer hide on the tanning bed for an hour. ;)

TomT

Bwwwaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that was good.:lol:

I am kinda pressed for time so I just sort of gotten most of the meat and fat off the hides and salted them up real good. i placed them in a plastic garbage bag and put them in the freezer till I can get my supplies and get a little time. I mean basically since Oct14th I have been busy deer hunting. Everything else has been on hold including the wife , the kids, the dog, the ST rear break rotor job, my wifes trailblazer HD Bilstien shocK upgrade and front and rear brakes, X-mas shopping, wood splitting,... This weekend I guess I better get a little christmas spirit going and see how my family is doing.....:wacko:

Joseymack

I am part Native American on my mothers side, my mom is into making regalia and medicine

bags... I also know some Waumpanoags from Cape Cod who are very skilled in leather crafts.

Who knows if I get a nice enough buckskin I may releather some things.... I also

am making my son some regalia for Native Powwows... Whatever... They may just sit around

and do nothing for a while.... I just want to check it out.

I think I will pass on the daniel Boone jackets....

Josemack

Latest posts