Deep Water !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETER PEARCE

Reaction score
While I wouldnt recommend it, the Sport Trac will happily go through 3 Feet of water if you go slow and keep moving.

Pete

Just be careful at any speed going through deep water. While a little different setup, about six years ago we had a crown vic in our fleet go through deep water. With newer cars and trucks the air intake for the engine goes down into the wheel well for cold air intake. Sucked a bunch of water into and blew the engine. The Sport trac rides higher, but something to think about and keep in mind.

Three feet of water is getting very close to the intake. Doesn't take much to hydrolock.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing. The gen 1 5r55e trans has a vent tube on the drivers side. If the tube is submerged and you let of the gas enough. The front pump on the trans might suck up water. Water and hot trans fluid steams and destroys, clutch and band material.

I knew I was pushing my luck but I really had no choice if I had stayed the water would have been 6 feet and I would have been cooked.

Changed all the fluids yesterday and all looks good.

Maybe I'll be lucky

Pete

A WHILE BACK I HIT DEEP WATER AND HYDROLOCKED IT WAS DUE TO THE AIR BOX HAS ITS OPENING IN FRONT BEHIND THE HEADLIGHT

BE CAREFUL OIL CHANGES =5

DISMANTLE THE ALTERNATER AND REMOVE SILT

FRONT DIFF SERVICE ,REAR DIFF SERVICE TRANSMIISION SERV AND BREATHER TUBES MODS TO ALL

KEEP TRACN

SORRY FOR THE CAPS I HAVE A BAD KEY BOARD

Latest posts