Decision Time which one do I choose?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Smith 2

Reaction score
I am looking at getting my first ST. I am looking at 2, a 2001 4x4 with 51,000 miles or a 20003 4x4 with 77,000 miles. Both appear in good shape. Except for the obvious mileage issue is one year model better than the other and more reliable? Is there specfic things I should check before making final decision. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a 2003 with 73K miles on it. I don't put that many miles on it each week, so don't worry about the mileage on the '03. There are some differences between the '01 and '03. Mainlt in that some things were updated on the '03 version. (some suspention components and also some tranny stuff) Basically, in truth, both are the same. Just get the one that fits you better. (one that you like more);)

The 03 has far superior features, especially in the interior, and you won't have to worry about the Job 1/Job 2 foolishness of the model revamping during 01.

Miles are a good thing...means the car has been driven, which is what it was born to do....ahem, built to do.

With the 03 you shouldn't have the noisy timing chain, you might hear that on the 01 in a test drive right about 2300-2500 RPM it sounds like spark knock.

The price is a wash with both within a few hundred dollars. The 03 has a Leer topper on the back and looks nice. I know the 03 has 4 wheel disc brakes which is better than the 01 with disc/drum combo. I know I was always taught never to buy the first year of any model because there are sure to be "bugs" that will be fixed in later models. Thanks for the advice. Look forward to be a "real" member of the ST club soon.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I will be driving it home Saturday. Is there anyway to tell by the vin# what kind of rear end (3.73 or 4.10) it has. I am somewhat concerned about getting the best mpg since I have a long commute everday to work.

Thanks again!

the rear end code is on the driver door. i cant remember what the codes were but someone on here can tell you what they are, or try to search it. i have an 01' job 1 and i love it. i would probably go with the lower miles but the '03 does have alot of the kinks worked out.

I found out the 03 has the limited slip 4.10 rear end. I have read other places on this web site that it doesn't have much affect on mileage. Any other thoughts? Living in the mountains I think it would definitly be a plus for those steep climbs but I am still alittle concerned about mpg. Thanks again.

The final drive ratio is pretty close to the same with either rear end because the tire size is different depending on what rear ratio you've got. Therefore, the mileage will be basically the same. If you plan to go to a larger tire, you definitely want the 4.10's though.

Latest posts