dealer wants $229 for high press. trani flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
I know there is controvery over the flush or drop pan and drain method. My thought is I'm at 43K miles and never had the trani fluid changed.....I know....I know, won't happen again. Flushing sounds like the best seeing as I have some old fluid in there.

The dealer said it was a high pressure flush, this seems like it is either BS or the most risky. The only reason I would go to the dealer is to make certain I'm getting the correct fluid, no speedy lube joint for me. I sure as heck don't want to be paying this much every 30K either.

Any feedback (serious) would be appreciated. ;)

Tim

At 43k, I would drop the pan to see what or how much sludge there is. Also change the filter. A complete flush also if there is sludge and bad fluid.

I took my daughter's car to the local Quickie Lube for the tranny flush. I stayed out in the bay and watched the entire job being done to my satisfaction. Cost?... $89.

Thanks all,

I've made an appointment at a friends garage for Friday to drop the pan. He doesn't have a machine to flush so I guess I'll see how it looks to see if the flush is warranted after that.

There is no other way to get more of the fluid out of the system? Seems like you should be able to disconnect the lines to the cooler and used compressed air (mild pressure) to force out.

Tim.. the only way to get the fluid out of the torque converter is with a flush. Years ago they used to put drain plugs on the converter. Other than it makes shops more money, must be why they stoped it..:wacko:

I got an e-mail with coupons for a flush for $150. I don't know how they got my e-mail addy, but I already unsubscribed.

I would recommend a flush over dropping the pa, but not at $229 !! I only paid $85 for the tranny flush on my 2001 Sport Trac, and the highest price I encountered was $129.

As for sluge build up in a transmission, it does not happen. Sludge is a product of heat and combustion byproducts that forms in an engine, which is not possible in a transmission.

If the fuild gets hot it will become burnt and can form a varnish. If you are not having any symptoms of transmission slipping and your fluid does not smell extremely burnt, a flush will be sufficient.

There is also a myth that the transmission fluid filter acts like an engine oil filter which is not true. The transmission filter is more like a pickup tube strainer to prevent larger particles from being pumped back throught the transmission. When the engine is shut off and the transmission is no longer pumping fluid any particles caught by the filter drop to the bottom of the pan where they are held by their weight and a magnet. If you flush your fluid on a regular basis, the filter is good for about 100k miles, so the filter would only need to be changed about every 3-4 flushes.

One of the oldest scams that some transmission shops will/would do is to drop your pan for a fluid change (when that was the only way) and show the customer the particles in the bottom of the pan and try to convince them that they needed a major transmission rebuild. The truth is, that those particles are normal from the bands and clutches, similar to brake dust. You can find those particles in any transmission that has at least 10K miles on it and that is not an indication of premature wear or emminent failure in the near future.

...Rich

Richard...I have droped many of trans pans and found sludge and metal particles. The sludge comes from the clutch and band wear. Also have found milkish looking sludge in the bottom. That usually happens when you go through high enough water, that gets sucked in through the front pump vent hole, on deceleration.

Iam 55yrs old been working on cars since I was 13. I know what iam talking about..:p

Edit; sorry did not read your whole post. I still will drop a pan because the amount of material in the pan gives me a good idea of wearing conditions. Maybe the difference form me and you is I push my vehicle hard. I want to know how it is wearing.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a drain plug on my tranny. I pull the plug, refill it and go on my way. I might not change it all, but a few times of doing that and I have most of it changed.

Tom

FastEddie,

I'm a 59 year old geezer who has been around the block a few times myself. I have been working on cars since I was about 12-13 years old and over those years I have rebuilt and replaced engines and transmissions as well as just about every other component on a car.

I do not drive off road so I have never encountered water in a transmission, however simply checking the dipstick would tip you off that you have gotten water in your transmission and the fluid needs to be changed/flushed. Checking the condition of the fluid via the dipstick has always been the first line of defense against transmission problems.

Also, I have also never encountered and automatic transmission or an transmission pump with an external vent? Only some of the newer sealed transmissions without a dipstick tube might need additional venting. That's not to say that the Sport Trac transmission does not have a vent, it's just that I don't see why they would need one? And I think the pump would need be less likely to need an external vent. The pump needs suction to pick up fluid and an external vent would break that siphon action and suck in road contaminates or water.

...Rich

OK, so you drop the pan to see how much wear - if there is significant wear, you loose sleep and figure out what your going to do when the tranny dies.........if there is no wear, you figure your not looking hard enough because there has to be wear........

Guess what I'm trying to say is do a flush to keep your piece of mind but don't drop the pan unless your ready to do some serious work.

Good luck

Rich

You don't have to go offroad to get water in the transmission. Here in Houston we have had Interstate 10 flood more than 10 feet in places, enough to float an empty tanker truck!

And most transmissions have a vent separate from the dipstick tube. That keeps any blown oil out of the tube so it doesn't smear on the dipstick and contaminate the reading.

Latest posts