Dead Window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H

Reaction score
My front driver side window has died. I used to be able to put it up by pressing lightly on the button, but now everytime I try the same thing, I hear a BUZZING NOISE coming from the dash. My dad thinks that it is a fuse.

What fuse number is the front driver door?

Any ideas?

Scott, I tried to look it up and all I can find is that the power windows,all, are fuse#20.It sounds to me like the switch is going out.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. The bad thing is that it is stuck DOWN! Now I have to detach and reattach my stereo everytime I leave. Hope it doesn't rain!

Ideas?

Pull the door trim off and see if you are getting power to the motor. If you do, then I would be willing to bet the window regulator motor is bad. If you arent getting power to the motor, then check the relays for the window. I would think it would be safe to assume that the windows have relays to run the power to the motor because those motors draw more power then a door switch should handle.

Tom

Scott, if it were a blown fuse, you probably would not be getting any power at all

to the window or the switch. It sounds to me like the relay is either going bad, or the power

window motor is wearing out, drawing more current than it was designed for , and

overworking the relay to the point it is making that buzzing noise.

The newer vehicles have a seperate fuse/relay/circuit set up for almost every option

on the vehicle. If everything else electrical is working o.k., I would check out the

entire circuit for the drivers side window, including an "amp draw", on the drivers side

window motor, if you could find someone to do that for you.

Also check the switch for worn contacts, as the drivers window switch is usually the

most used in a vehicle, therefore, more likely to wear out sooner.

Hope this helps.:)

Just an afterthought...

If you could find another switch known to be good, and just plug it into the harness on

the switch panel (much easier than pulling off the door panel, just for now) after pulling

the switch panel off of the inner door panel, this may save some time and effort.

As Caymen suggested, relays usually cause a buzzing sound when going bad, or

overworked. Try the "switch thing".

:)

My guess is the noise your hearing is the relay. That does not mean it is bad though. Your motor may be bad and the result of the electrical current going to the motor is the buzzing relay.

As mentioned above, remove the panel and see if your getting power to the motor when the button is pushed.

Latest posts