Dead Battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
So I got stranded in the trac today.

It appears the charging system is putting out only 13.1 volts or less.

I assume the requlator is built into the alternator right? Does anyone know what the normal alternator output s/b?

I checked my hyundai & was getting 13.8 volts.

Other than the alternator, can anyone else thing of alternative causes?

Battery is now brand New

Serpentine 1 year old

Aloha Cabera, I left an interior light on in my wife's car when I was cleaning it. I put it on a charger but the light was still on so no charge to the battery. New battery, $169. but it is my wife's car so ok, I think that the alt. should put out about 14V. I am not sure though.

If you disconnect a battery cable and charge just the battery, you can tell if it will take a charge. When you put the cable back on, look for a substantial spark, indicating a drain on from the system. By pulling one fuse at a time, you can isolate the circuit that has the drain.

enjoy the process Ed

Thanks Ed, electical is alway a "fun" job.

No spark at the terminal just a tiny click (due to the dome light being on)

I did a draw test at the battery & I was only drawing 0.11 amps which would account for the radio memory. Once I pulled the radio memory fuse I had a 0.00 amp draw. So at least I should feel luck I have no parasitic draw.

It must be the alt. I pull 13.1 volts when running & if I turn on the headlights that drops to just over 12.3 volts.

I just hope the 3 alternator bolts aren't a pain to remove

Andy

Its really easy I did it not to long ago took about 30 mins... buy a remanufactured alternator in the end after core charge it will cost about $100 plus they usually come with a better warranty... just make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal

Thanks Travis,

The pix helped

I cheaped out & went to the junkyard I lucked out BIG TIME. I found a 2001 Explorer Sport with what looked like a recently replaced alternator. I pulled it off & installed it only to find it's a high output 215 amp alternator.

Total cost $26.98 ($19.99 + $6.99 core)