Daytime Running Lights Clarification

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have seen some threads here about enabling/disabling DRLs (via computer setting in SJB for 2007+ STs)

Is this only an option for the Canadian delivered STs or USA STs as well?

Today I went to the Ford dealership to have them program the DRLs ON for my USA delivered 2007 Sport Trac, and they said it was only an option on Canadian models.

thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

You never said if you want to enable or disable DRL's? If you do not have DRL's you cannot enable them, so I assume that you want to disable them?

DRLs are mandatory in Canada, but not in the USA. It's odd that you were told that only Canadian vehicles have the ability to disable DRL's...It seems that they should be the ones that should NOT have the ability to disable a government mandated requirement?

Some vehicles in the US have DRLs as an option and some have them as OEM standard equipment but they are not mandated by the Federal goverment.

US cars and imported cars often can disable the DRLs through the various key/fob or light switch sequences. Some do not have this ability and require that you disable them manually be either removing a fuse, or disconnecting a resistor in the headlight circuit.

Everything I have read indicates that Ford Explorer/Sport Trac's can only be disable by disconnecting the resistor.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I meant to say that I want to enable DRLs in my USA model ST.

I have a 2007 ST, and I have read in some posts that with the Gen2 STs, you just need to program the smart junction box (SJB) to enable/disable the DRLs.

I was just not sure whether is only true for Canadian models.

thanks,

Lisa

US models do not have DRL's to enable. I asked the dealer when I got mine and they said you need a DRL module that cost about $350. I decided to just turn them on and off myself.

Through a local dealer, I purchased and had the module installed for less than $130 on my '04 ST, but that was ~8 years ago. I'm surprised, JohnnyO, that your dealer quoted such a high price.

Latest posts