daystar bushing kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are they for.....front sway, rear sway, something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Thanks...just checked mine...they are good so far. I'm looking for the rear bushings for the sway bar and the shackle.

Does this kit include washers, bolts, etc. or just the poly bushings that replace the rubber ones? Can't tell from the site.

just the bushings. the kit is untouched i opened it up to look to see if everything was inside that is all. i had plans to do it over the holidays but that ended with the sale of the trac after the trans went. my new ride is her old 07 explorer. and she now has a 13 vw jetta.beside getting rid of my beloved trac i got the better of the deal.

thanks

hdt

Debating this. I will need them in about 1 year.

This is labor intensive. Not sure what a shop would charge for labor.

Definitly will not go oem......

Eddie, Prothane's new kit is another option:

Eddie, I'm debating the same thing. I've never done anything like this, so I'm hesitant to try it but if it's just a matter of it being time consuming I'd rather spend a couple of days of my time and save what will likely be hundreds of dollars. On the flipside, I don't want to break something trying to tackle a task that's over my head.

I spoke to a few shops in my area on labor, prices ranged from 1,000 to 2,000. The shop that quoted 2000 included the OEM bushings though, they wouldn't install anything else. When I called one shop they had 3 tracs inline for the same repair.

The first place I went to said the trick to get the blue locktite lose is to heat up the lower bushing retainers with a torch until they are almost glowing red. Then hit them with an impact.

I was thinking about welding a nut to the base of each bushing so I get a better grip on them while using the impact. The shop that gave me the best advice does body lifts all the time, and he said the repair isn't fun. They said 8 hours of labor to use the daystar kit.

Damn Shawn, that's what I was afraid of. For that much cash, I'm tempted to take a crack at it. I can buy a torch, impact wrench, floor jack and the bushing kit for a few hundred, max. If that's going to save me $1,000, the trouble might be worth it.

I have the equipment. I just dont tackle jobs of that size nowdays. Plus with my disability. Even with a helper. 2 day job for me. All I have is my trac. In 6yrs I went from owning 3 cars and almost 6 figure salary to $22K a year. Savings are still tied up.

Mods and repairs come at a premium to the check book.:sad:

Yeah it's a heafty price and really hits the pocket book, I haven't been able to find anyone in the Houston area that is below $1,000 bucks for just the labor. I was hoping I could find a 4 wheel drive shop and pay 500 to maybe 600 bucks, but it looks like I'll have to ask some buddies to help out with this one. I helped my brother do a body lift on his Jeep and it wasn't much fun. It's tough to do with just a couple of floor jacks. The biggest thing for me is it takes away from family time, so I have to trade off which is worth it, but 1,000 bucks is a lot of money.

Its not that hard of a job but is time consuming. I did it by myself in one afternoon. Do a search, there is one pretty decent write up for it. A couple good tips are to spray penetrating oil on all the bottoms before you get started. Put a jack under the mount you are trying to break loose and jack it up a bit. This will keep it from spinning when you are trying to break it loose.

98, did you replace the bushings at all 8 locations, or just the 4 locations in the middle that most people seem to have issues with?

JPiro, I did 6 mounts, The four problem ones in the cab area and the two in the engine/front bumber area. I pulled the back ones out but they looked great so I left them in.

Latest posts