Daydreaming about a new Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett H

Reaction score
What if they brought back the 2nd generation Sport Trac with the predicted upcoming 10 speed transmission and the new 2.7 EcoBoost engine in it? Just imagine the performance and mpg boost (compared to my 2001 V6). . . That would be an interesting competitor to the Colorado and Tacoma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Present CAFE standards will always prevent Ford from bringing back the Sport Trac. :btddhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of inspiring another "dead horse" response I'm gonna express my opinion here. If the internet is good for absolutely nothing else, it allows us to do exactly that. Anyway, here goes...

For most of my lifetime I have been a Ford guy. No, make that all my life. I used to despise GM because, in my opinion, they were the perfect example of corporate arrogance. For many, many years GM had the attitude that if they built it a large percentage of consumers would buy it, regardless of whether or not it was the right vehicle for their needs or even whether or not it was a quality vehicle. And for a long time they were neither but people still bought them like a herd of cattle going to water.

I hate to have to say this and I never thought I would feel this way, but Ford, at least when it comes to trucks, has taken over the corporate arrogant A-hole crown.

Let's face it, why do so many of the members here still have their Sport Tracs even though Ford hasn't made one for four years? For me it's for two reasons. First and foremost it's because I like it, probably more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. No, it's not the most fuel efficient truck out there and I can't carry a sheet of plywood in the bed. But it is more versatile than other types of vehicles in almost every other regard. The other reason is the one that really bothers me. It's because it's a damn Ford and I'm a lifer. I can't help it, I'm addicted. So why don't I just swallow my pride and buy an F-150? Even though its the only light truck Ford will let me buy it's just too damn BIG. If Ford comes out with some pretend "truck" based on the Transit Connect or Focus I would not be interested in that either because it would be useless for the same things I CAN do with my Sport Trac. What makes all this even more disgusting is the fact that Ford DOES have the truck in it's line-up that I would buy in a heartbeat if they would just get over their arrogance and fear of losing the F-150's sales crown and sell it here.

That truck is the T6 Ranger that IS sold in 180 or so other countries. I've heard all the excuses about why that can't happen but in my opinion they are all BS. Ford has, what, about 500 different CUV/SUV models in every imaginable size but they can only justify one size truck...HUGE! Really? What ever happened to all that "One Ford" nonsense? You know, the one where they said they were going to sell every model in every market? I guess it only applies when the stock holders and corporate executives get what they want...customers be damned...:sad::soap:

GM just got Motor Trend's Truck of the Year award for the redesigned Colorado. IMO Ford will respond; Mr. Market is all-powerful and will have his way.

I'm obviously not a fan of the current "fool" size trucks but Motor Trend either has their heads up their butts or in GM's wallet. The 2015 F-150 will have a much bigger impact on the light truck market than the new GM midsizers. GM has already announced that their 2018 full-size pickups will also have aluminum bodies. Wish I owned a bauxite mine. Probably ought to be buying Alcoa stocks. :grin:

I wonder how much trouble it would be to import a new Ranger from Mexico? Probably about like trying to bring a wife over from the Ukraine. The import probably has better assets than the domestic counterpart but the cost is a lot higher and the infotainment system is probably harder to program. :sad:

I agree blksn8k, there are still a lot of us that do not need (or have room for) the present crop of enormous full size trucks. Just look at the solid Tacoma sales. With the 2.7 and the 10 speed the Explorer would probably have the best mpg of the bunch.

Ford has said the 2.7L was designed to be used in other vehicles besides the F-150. They have already said it will be offered in the Edge. Sure would be sweet in a T6 Ranger. Would blow the GM mid-sizers out of the water. Call it a Sport Trac, F-100 or whatever. Just let us buy one.

I'm good for a T6 Ranger with an ecoboosted 2.7L as well. But I suspect Ford in not going to let anything interfere with "the grand aluminum F-150 experiment".

Keith, I would be skeptical of the towing limits on the 2.2L. Would probably get awesome fuel mileage but I need something at least as capable as my V8 Trac. My Kubota weighs about 5600 lbs with attachments and the Trac towed it on a tandem axle trailer with relative ease.

If Ford grew a set and decided to sell the T6 here I would guess the only diesel option would be the 3.2L in-line 5 cyl that has already been certified for the full-size Transit van. Personally, I would rather have the 2.7L EcoBoost. Probably lower initial cost (a measly $495 option in the F-150), less noise and stink and just as capable as the 3.2L diesel. Might not get the same fuel mileage as a diesel when towing but how often do most of us tow anyway? The 2.7L EB has 375 lb ft of torque and is rated to tow around 8000 lb in the F-150. That would be more than enough for all the more often most people would be towing with a Ranger and a hoot to drive when you're not. It is also rated at 19 mpg city, 26 highway, 22 combined in the F-150 and should be even better in a Ranger. IMO diesels belong in the Super Duty for those who need real towing capability more often than a daily driver. At least Ford got their engine strategies right.

Keith, I realize that but my point is that the 2.2L has not been certified for the US market and the 3.2L turbo diesel that is also available in the T6 has been for use in the Transit. I would be surprised if the take rate on the 2.2 would justify the cost of certification.

I'd guess the F-150 will get smaller eventually.

If you compare a 2015 F-150 to a 1967 F-100, there's a huge difference, like 700 pounds even with the aluminum in 2015. In the 70's, the larger F-150 replaced the F-100, and after that the F-150 just kept getting bigger.

c652eb2604599569b1538402860a0df8.jpg

a933c60121422b65c4fcd613fb8ff275.jpg

Gavin wrote:

"Maybe something like this?

http://f650pickups.com/batmans-joker.html"

In the voice of Crocodile Dundee:

"Now atsa Troack!"

:bwahaha:

Stopped at my local GMC Dealer to look at a new CANYON.

Nice truck but when looking at price sticker I now have over 40,000 reasons to make a strong effort in 2015 to tackle the electrical gremlins on my 2007 Sport Trac and drive for as long as I need a truck. Or drive it until Ford comes up with a valid replacement for the Sport Trac.

Wait I already went thru this with Ford and the Mini Van. After owning and liking an Aerostar and two Windstar vans I now own a 2011 VW van built by Chrysler. The VW is ok but it is not a FORD ! When time to trade the Van I think a new Explorer would make me happy ?

So wish me luck in my wait. Bill