Dash Cams

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Clary

Reaction score
Hello to all. I've been contemplating a dash cam. Tried to research on the web and found out every one out there is the current best one available. Not sure how that can be. I have an older one, no name brand, not even sure where I got it but it's just awful. Wrapped in tape to keep it from falling apart. What I would like to have is something that will be inconspicuous and not stick out like a sore thumb. Would like to hide it behind or near the rear view mirror. I also dislike suction cup mounts as here in AZ with the hot weather they don't work on my windshield. Stay for a while then fall off. I don't know what to consider good features verses fluff but would like to be able to down load to my laptop with out a lot of grief. Of course I want good picture quality and night vision. Possibly automatic saving of clip in case of a collision. So what are you all using? Would you recommend it? Would you buy again? Any advise? Thanks for your input!

I have the same problem with suction cup mounts here in Texas...:angry:

You might look at something with an adjustable visor mount? If they don't have a visor mount, check on universal mounts for phones and GPS units on Amazon....I picked up a nice visor mount that fits my phone, one of the dash cams and my Cell phone. It's hard to pick a mount until you have the camera and can figure out how it needs to be mounted. Some cameras would be great if you could mount them upside-down, but if they don't have a feature to invert the image it might not work too well for you.

Also, you need to look at sound capabilities. some record sound, some don't....if you get into an accident, you might want to record statements made by the other party involved in the accident?? It also may come in handy if you get stopped by a belligerent cop..:grin:

I have two dash cams...both have front and rear cameras. one model has a remote rear camera that you can place anywhere and connect it to the DVR with a cable..The remote/rear camera is only black & white.

The other unit has the two cameras mounted on the sides and can be aimed anywhere from front to rear including the left and right side, you can easily move it to aim while you are driving.

All the cameras that I know of will record to a MicroSD card and can be adjusted to record in a loop for a specific length of time. When you want to save a recording, you must press a "Save" button and it will save that video.

I cant tell you the names of these units....I bought the cameras on Amazon.com and like everything else, they are made in China, and neither has a brand or model number on them. Even the instruction manuals do not state a maker or model...The just say "User Manual".

They were cheap because I wanted to test them out, but they do work well....so far.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of getting one as well. But I decided on using my cell phone and an app. There are a ton of apps out there for pretty cheap....free even. I used a cell phone mount that is suction cupped to the window but no issues yet with it falling off. I figured my phone is always with me anyways so why not use it. I just use the 12v plug for power so the phone stays charged.

Johnny B?

Good idea...however Amazon only allows me to look at orders within the last six months, and I ordered mine over 6 months ago, so I could not determine the exact models I ordered but these are very similar if not identical to what I ordered

If you go to Amazon.com and search on ?Dual Lens Dash Cams? you will get about 20 pages of these cameras? Many are identical but have different names or are sold by a different distributor/maker. I suspect they are probably all made in the same factory in China and since they are unmarked with a brand name, anyone can sell them and call them any make or model they choose

One of my cameras is similar to these two. This is the camera that has a separate remote camera that you can position anywhere. The camera on the DVR screen unit only rotates vertically to the front or the back. You can use the cameras with the screen on the top and flip it up, or on the bottom and flip it down. Camera allows you to invert the image on the screen...but if the unit is upside down, the recording on the MicroSD card will be upside-down.

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor-Vision/dp/B00LBYZ1Y4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1431730724&sr=8-13&keywords=dual+dash+cameras

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Dashboard-Accident-Recording-Detection/dp/B00LAAVVOS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431729896&sr=8-4&keywords=dash+cameras

The other camera is similar to the following. The dual lenses manually rotate horizontally to the front or back and that allows them to be aimed to the side of the vehicle as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Giveumore-Rotatable-Recorder-Camcorder-Transformer/dp/B00ILREJRO/ref=sr_1_218?ie=UTF8&qid=1431737646&sr=8-218&keywords=dual+dash+cameras

http://www.amazon.com/docooler%C2%AE-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Vision/dp/B00OUUFUI8/ref=sr_1_235?ie=UTF8&qid=1431737751&sr=8-235&keywords=dual+dash+cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Recorder-Facleta-Dashboard-Camcorder/dp/B00X392JFE/ref=sr_1_253?ie=UTF8&qid=1431737813&sr=8-253&keywords=dual+dash+cameras

Hope this helps,

...Rich

Update. After a bunch of research I ended up ordering the street guardian SG9665GC. It comes with all the whistles and bells. Because of the heat here in AZ I felt that I needed a capacitor, instead of a battery, in the cam I purchased, so I limited my choices to cams with a capacitor. I had also thought about a B40-A118C by various brands, sold on Amazon. The ones on Amazon were half the cost of the Street Guardian but did not include all the extras that I felt I needed, so I stepped up and went for the more expensive Street Guardian. I purchased from Pier 28 which is the exclusive distributor in the US for Street Guardian. They claim to provide excellent customer service and only time will tell. I also received a lot of very good information about Dash Cams at a web site called webcamtalk. Lots if forums.

So I'll wait until I have it installed and played with it for awhile and then let you all know what I think.

Thanks to all who responded. It is appreciated.

Dave

itybitybob,

Hey, that looks like a great dash cam. I also like the capacitor rather than a battery. I found the same camera by Spy Tek on Amazon.com for $79. ?? The Street Guardian costs $199....do you know that the difference is?

Also, how are they mounted? It appears that the only mounting is by a 3m sticky tape...of course you could stick it to any mounting device that works best in your situation?

...Rich

Not in my truck, but I have the Mini 0801 in my car. It is attached behind the rear view mirror.

I am using the B40-A118C in my ST, got it about 3 mo ago and am pleased with the daytime quality. At night it will suffice to show what happened and who came from where but you lose a lot of detail because it is dark. Got it from ebay and looked specifically for a seller with US stock so I did not have to wait a month for it to be shipped on a slow boat from China. Mounted it behind my rear view mirror and most people who don't know never even notice it is there.

From my research the difference between the B40-A118C and the Street Guardian is the Street Guardian comes with the GPS, additional 3m tape, and better night quality. The lens is glass not plastic which could be effected by high temperatures. The Street Guardian claims better night vision, so we'll see. It also comes with a 32 meg smart card. The support is also claimed to be better. During my research the price difference was definitely a concern but it got somewhat closer when I considered the additional whistles and bells with the Street Guardian. Only time will tell if I have made the right decision. Had I not gone with the Street Guardian I would have definitely chosen the B40-A118C.

itybitybob,

That sounds good....I think I will look into units myself.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Another update. I now have it installed. Think I like it. It seems to be working just fine. I turned off the audio because I was appalled by the filthy language it recorded. Opp's It appears I swear at other drivers. How could this be? At any rate the Street Guardian is doing exactly what I wanted to do and I am happy with it.:banana:

Another update. I now have it installed. Think I like it. It seems to be working just fine. I turned off the audio because I was appalled by the filthy language it recorded. Opp's It appears I swear at other drivers. How could this be? At any rate the Street Guardian is doing exactly what I wanted to do and I am happy with it.:banana:

itybitybob,

I just picked up a new dashcam myself. I got a Falcon F360. It's a camera system that fits over the standard review mirror, and has two 1040P HD cameras that can be aimed front/rear or to the sides. It comes on automatically when you start the car and you can adjust the time it continues to record after the car is shut off. You can also adjust the loop time.

The great part is that it is totally automatic...once you set it up the way you want to use it, you don't have to mess with it. It even comes with 32GB SD card (I actually got three 32GB memory cards? 2 SD Cards and 1 MicroSD card with adapter?

It also has a long power cord so that you can tuck the power cord along the headliner and windshield molding so that people don't even know the camera is there.

Images from the cameras appear in the mirror, and disappear after about 1 minute and it reverts to a standard review mirror. It also has a battery to allow operation after the vehicle is shut off, but I don't really need it to record when the vehicle is parked, but it's a nice feature in case I have to park somewhere I don't trust.

...Rich

Richard,

That is a cool camera. Just looked at it on amazon. Do you know what the biggest capacity sd card it can handle?

JohnnyB,

It came with 32GB card (actually I got 3 cards with mine?. :grin:) I have a 64GB card that I might try to see if it accept it, but I think 32GB is more than enough for my needs. It records in 10, 20 or 30 minute loops or it can be set to store continuously and loops when the memory is full. I think it starts recording to a new file automatically every time you start the car or you can press the power button and it will start recording off internal battery power

itybitybob,

So far the Falcon is working great. It has been installed on my SUV that is not garaged, so stays park in the hot Texas sun all day and keeps and continues to work perfectly.

...Rich

Latest posts