Custom paint opinions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Klinger

Reaction score
So I am considering custom paint...Nothing major, just an accent color. Always have been a fan of two-tone and I REALLY like the looks of the Pueblo Gold accent on Eddie Bauer Explorers.

Anyone done this or anything similar? I've got a quote of $1,500 from a local body shop to do this. Seems a little high, but I know very little about body/paint work. So that could be spot on.

Any photoshop gurus wanna stage a Gen II Dark Cherry Metallic with Pueblo Gold bumpers/flares/running board? Please? :D

After looking at your Trac...

All I could think to say is...Dont Do It...

When you are sitting on the perfect look..you dont need to do anything..

But then it IS yours....

Yes, $1500 is about what they charge. Ridiculous...yes.

I had a shop try to tell me $1100 for sideskirts, a rear bumper, and a spoiler for a 94 t-bird was a good deal. I told them to go pound sand and I could do it with a $80 spray gun on my compressor and do a pretty damn good job.

However, shops charge a TON, because 1) a LONG lasting paint job is tough to do, 2) they can...it's an art.

if you want to see what it would like but on a temporary basis, use masking tape or painters tape where you want, it would give you an idea of what it would look like. I had an white F150 with silver on the oem fender flares and along the lower portion between the bumpers, looked good IMO, but it was factory, it depends on how you do it I guess.

The body shop prices is part of the reason for the new vinyl wraps that are done to vehicles. It is cheaper and you change your look when you feel like it.

Thanks, guys. I was really going for the exact look of the Eddie Bauer Explorer. I notice the front bumper assembly is slightly different between the ST and Explorer, so it wouldn't be an exact match.

I dunno, I definitely don't want a crap paint job, but I'm not prepared to part with $1,500. ($1,500 would by a LOT of other goodies!) So I might reach out to one more body shop in town to see what their rate is.

Thanks again!

Latest posts