Custom headlights....Retrofit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
Well, after several week of waiting, I finally installed the headlights with the projector housing retrofits.

First impress of the physical aspect, looks bad ass. However, once getting the lights all wired up, I was quite disappointed. Why? Because of the following issues:

- right side has a noticeable "hot spot" and the beam pattern is too low and too off right (the adjuster did not help)

- due to the ST's CAN-Bus system and , SJB, and DRL, the lights are always on

- due to the wiring scheme and CAN-Bus system, the car detects a left/right" bulb out so now I have a constant notification on my system display

My installer and I are going back tot he drawing board to see if we can rectify some of these issues.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

That is a total buzz kill man. Hope it isn't too difficult to fix... I can see with it at 35 watts why it would think it has a bulb out. Could always run 55 watt ballast to fix it. But if your lights are always on that'll ruin them pretty quick. I don't know anything about the wiring of the Gen 2's. Was it not possible to make the signal/corner bulbs the DRL and have xenon come on when you turn them on with the headlight dial? When it comes to the height of the passenger side light, I'm assuming it isn't aimed high enough in the housing if it looks like that and there is no more vertical adjustment left on the headlight.

Really sorry to hear this. Good luck trying to solve the issues.

I know there are other members who have done Gen 2 projectors. I've seen it at some point or another. Hopefully someone else can help out here

Might want to see if it is allowed..

But here in Europe, there is a DTRL law also.. but alot with projector beam lights.. use a angle eye or strip of LED lights for the daytime lights.. and then the projectors only turn on when you turn the lights on..

just something to think about if it is allowed in Canada.

zcspec you're from in the States right? Do you even need a DRL?

Sal that is indeed what I did, I have a white led halo for the DRL. Seemed to suit the headlight housing anyhow. I just see the 09-12 F-150's floating around that have the projectors use the amber turn signal bulb as a DRL. Works well from what I've seen

Borrowed from an earlier post:

From what I could find, DRLs were never required in the U.S. - they were permitted (beginning with the 1995 model year) by the NHTSA. The NHTSA did set limitations on the intensity of the lighting used, but not that they be required on a vehicle. In 2001, GM petitioned the NHTSA to have DRLs required, but was denied in 2009 ["... the agency remains neutral with respect to a policy regarding the inclusion of DRLs in vehicles ..."].

He may want them, though.

Yes, I am from the States...the issue with the DRL is, it's controlled by the Smart Box Junction (SBJ) At least here in the States, when you examine the H13 bulb, there are three wires. 2 of which are "hot" and the third is ground. Each hot powers the respective low/high beam. The lows act as the DRL by having the SBJ reduce power to it, thus making it appear to be a DRL. Once you turn the headlights on, this reduced power is now at full strength so you have full low beam power.

That's the issue...you simply CANNOT disable or remove some type of wire. The power to the DRL is also the power to the low beam. Cutting it out when no low beam.

I hope I am making myself clear. BTW, I have a Gen2.

Clear.

Do you (or anyone) have the schematic for this? There is a signal that causes the SBJ to do it's thing. It may be a relay upstream that toggles between incorporating a resistor or not. It may also be a microprocessor that includes a resistor, in which case, you're probably screwed. Either way, you need to know how it functions, so you can slay the beast.

Yardsale, I do have the OEM wiring manual but unfortunately, I dont speak electrician. I only speak medicine. LOL...I think this does not end well as Ford's CanBUS system comes into play with the DRL.

I know it can be done somehow though because I have seen it on another GEN2.

Can you locate the diagrams for your vehicle as those referenced in the following (for F-150)?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can have the dealer update your truck to disable the DRL's. your truck must have been originally sold in canada?

Mike, you are correct, my truck was originally sold and purchased in Vancouver, BC. I then bought it in Seattle. Let me reach out to the dealer and see what they can do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts