Custom headlights....Retrofit Take II

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
My installer and I finally had some time this weekend to re-examine the retro fit issues my ST was having.

Here is an PRE-Correction

[Broken External Image]:

Here is the POST-Correction

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Actual Headlight Retrofit

[Broken External Image]:

As you can tell, we managed to level both headlights evenly. The cut off is simply amazing in real world application. However, we still could not figure out why there is still a "hot-spot." The last item on this project is having the DRLs turned OFF since they are tied into the headlight power source. Then the headlight and fog light halos will be wired to a DRL control module.

looks great after alignment. what projectors did you use? do you have any pictures of how you sealed the back of the headlight housing? did you use the OEM headlight for this? if so was it hard opening up the light?

I did a Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit on my gen 1 headlights, but a deer made short work of that mod right after i finished them. i'v considered giving it another try with my gen 2 lights...

In my opinion the hotspot can only be from the bulb or projector lens.

I would change the right bulb first. If that does not cure it you may have to take apart the headlight and put a new projector in it unless you can live with it.

Mike, my installer used the Morimoto kit and Panamera shrouds. The back of the kit is covered by a "boot" and I ended up putting silicone on the end of the wires to protect from water. I did have to purchase aftermarket headlights because the OEM units are sealed with permabound and cannot be unsealed without damaging the housing. My installer tried for over an hour with no success so we just used my aftermarket ones. Those opened up much easier!

Thanks Rangers484 for the suggestion. I'll try to replace the right side bulb and see if it's a bulb issue. I hope this is the case because I really dont want to open up the headlight housing again.