Custom Back-Rack or Head-Ache Rack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Poorman

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to make a custom Back-rack or also known as a head ache rack for my 2001. I know most people say our beds are strong enough to mount one beings the beds are made from plastic. I think I have come up with a way to mount it. Basically i'm going to take my front two boat cleats and use the two bolts from them on each side with custom brackets to mount the entire rack. I'm going to do square tubing for the frame and some expanded metal for the window protection. This will be on the truck all the time, eventually a second frame will be made to mount in place of the rear boat cleats to form a ladder-rack when needed to haul ladders or my kayaks. I just received a new welder as a gift so i'm dying to try the darn thing out and this looks like it will be my first project. Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas feel free to chime in.

Thanks all,

one of he members has done this, I think it was Sal A.. look in the projects...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is similar. I'm going to do a full on ladder rack and window gaurd. The idea is the same. I uploaded a picture to my library of what i'm going to do for the window gaurd and front rack.

Shaun, I might make it a project. I'm going to have my fab shop make the mounts for me and the rest i'm going to do and i'll take pictures and measurements every step of the way.

Are you going to angle it to match the rear cab angle? Maybe aluminum construction to lighten it up.

Do you know what you're really attaching it to by using the hook mounts???

40dd73157650822fc5caba7fee06fc3a.jpg

That's all ......... attached to the composite bed with one rivet.

Here's your bed side minus the outer panel.

7db1c5598457884c3e3244019f1a55a4.jpg

So is it even safe to use the tie downs to tie down, say, my dirt bike? It wouldn't seem like using one to stabilize a 300+lb bike would be a good idea. I guess this composite bed has its pros and cons. I love the truck, but maybe its time to go bigger.

That's why I mentioned aluminum. You may be okay but the headache rack I have off of my F150 weighs 75+ lbs and bolts through a metal bed. But hey, it's your truck. I just wanted you to know what will be supporting that weight. If you consider it being struck high up on the rack and the leverage factor of that, it might damage the bed box ........ IDK.

As far as your bike, I see no problem. You're not supporting the weight of the bike, only stabilizing/securing it. See below:

From the owners manual:

EXTERIOR TIE DOWN HOOKS

Exterior tie down hooks mounted on

the side of the pickup box:

can be used to secure loads

within the pickup box.

can be used to secure half the

tonneau cover in an open

position.

allow for continued use of the

stake pockets.

Each tie down hook can secure loads