Cruise controls not working any ideas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Prescott

Reaction score
So about 6 months ago my cruise control and horn stopped working I heard that the recall on the master cylinder switch thing could make my cruise not work I replaced it it did not fix anything I' then decided to replace the cruise control switches as they were broken that fixed nothing then decided to replace the clock spring and once more did not fix the cruise control but did fix the horn I'm lost now I believe it has to be electrical and I have no idea how to pinpoint or check for those kinds of problems

Did you inspect the harness plug, in the steering column? Gen1 trac have problems with the wires breaking or coming out of the plug. Not enough slack in the harness causes it.

Look in projects.....

My blinkers in brakes were not working about a year back and I repaired the harness buy hot gluing all the wires into place is that harness for sure related to cruise control if so I will disassemble a steering column again and reglue my wires

Roy,

Does the dash indicator light up when you attempt to engage cruise control?

The cable sometimes comes disconnected at the throttle body. The system will turn on (dash indicator lit) but the cruise won't catch.

Hope this helps!

I am having the same problem. Cruise light flashes but will not catch. Mine stopped working about a month back at the same time my cruise switche broke. I assumed it was the switches and replaced them including the wiring harness for the new switches.

Can some one provide a photo of where the harness conects to the throttle body?

Your Owner's Manual has a diagram for the fuses and relays. Have you checked those? Fuses are easily inspected and cheap. Relays are more expensive but pulling one out to check the spades for corrosion never hurts.

When all else fails, my first impression is that it probably means it's broke. :cry:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: