cruise control quit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It just stopped working. When I try to engage the cruise control the little indicator light blinks but the cruise control never engages. Anybody out there have any ideas?

It could be the column wiring snafu, see projects section. I would bet it is the recall fuse ass'y under the hood. Water got into mine and completely rotted away the fuse inside. Behaved exactly as you said yours did. There are two fuses, so check both of them. If they're fine, the release switch on the master cylinder might be on its way out.

It could also be the brake pressure sensor that is mounted on the master cylinder. When mine went bad the cruise light would blink when I tried to set it but it would never actually engage. I bought my replacement from Rockauto. Takes about 2 minutes to replace.

Yes I did some more research and it's the switch on the master cylinder. I found a Ford part on AMAZON for 37.00 and it's been ordered. Thanks for your help and impute.

I hope you checked the fuses- I put a new switch on mine and it still didn't work.. my blunder for not checking fuses first

Had the same issue on ours while still under warranty. Hit "on" and then when you hit "set" the green dash indicator would just blink instead of staying on and no speed control/hold.

Warranty repair was to replace both steering wheel switch assemblies. Just an FYI if your brake master switch doesn't fix it (there's also a fuse on that switch if the recall was done properly, you should have a tie wrapped harness on the master cylinder with an inline fuse).

Mark

I installed the new switch easy peasy and it's all fixed. Now if only everything else would go like that my life would be so much simpler. Thanks for all your help. :banana:

I wonder what that switch is for. Mine quit so I bypassed it. The CC still works as it should drops out with the brake and resets memory, no function problems.

If your works (shuts off with brake) without the switch at the brake master cylinder, then maybe that switch is a backup to the brake light-interlock switch - either switch will shut off the cruise control (in the case the brake light switch fails, the cruise control will switch off with the backup switch).

Just a guess.

Latest posts