Cruise control problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Long

Reaction score
03 ST....my Cruise Control is not working properly. When I turn the cruise on, I push the set button, the light comes on for a second and goes off. If I push it several times sometimes it catches and turns on....sometimes it doesn't at all.

Anyone had this problem and what is the fix?

Anytime you have an electrical problem with anything that runs throught the steering column, check the multiswitch connector and wiring harness that runs up the steering column. This is especially true with the early Gen1 Sport Trac's from 2001-2003. Ford installed the wiring harness without sufficient slack to compensate for the tilt wheel. If the problem is intermittent, often times moving the tilt wheel up and down will make or break an electrical connection. You should always remove the steering column cover and check if there are loose or broken wires at the multi-switch connector. Sometimes it just pulls one of the connector pins out, and sometimes it pulls the wire out of the pin connector. if none of the wires are broken and all the pins can be reinserted, you just need to pull up a little more slack into the steering column to allow full up/down tilt of the wheel without pulling on the wires.

This steering column wiring harness problem effects everything wired through the column including the cruise control, turn signals, horn, headlights, tailights, brake lights, ignition, starting, accessories, wipers, washers, etc, except the air bag which uses a separate wiring circuit.

...Rich

I have an 05 with 45,000 miles on it; a year or so ago, the cruise would take several tries to turn on. Later the door locks would lock and unlock repeatedly when starting the ST. Turned out to be the battery.

The switch that is mounted on the master cylinder often goes bad. It is for the cruise control. Normally what happens is, the switch goes bad and fluid enters it through where it is threaded into the brake system. When it does so, sometimes the switch works and sometimes it does not. It normally flashes as it tries to work but it can't as it is shorted out internally so the light turns off...

Agree with Coastie... Had the exact same problem on our 04 Freestar. When you push set, it would flash momentarily but not stay on or operate. Replaced the switch on the master cylinder and it solved the problem.

Agree with Dave and Coastiejoe. I replaced the switch on my master cylinder a couple of years ago and that fixed the problem. Easy to do, no fluid leaked out when changing.

I'd post a picture of the switch replaced if I could figure out how to post a picture.

Doug in NC

On the master cylinder?? Could someone be more specific on where it's at? My MC has 2 electrical connections, and they look like they may be sensors.

Latest posts