cruise and horn out at same time! please help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Prescott

Reaction score
So I have searched the forum and found alot of flashing light problems with cruise or horns going bad but I believe I have to have a different problem and instead of searching forums all the way back to 2008 and further I figured I would just make a post.

Ok so I have a 2001 st 4x4 and cruise and horn both went out together. I checked fuses they are good and relays are good to my knowledge. Have not checked the red switch thing but I didn't have flashing CC lights and intermittent use. But will check after work today. I pulled the horns out and tried taking wire and simply touching the battery terminals to see if I could get them to go off neither one worked. I have yet to buy new horns bc I am not sure id my test was a proper testing. I have been told it could be the clockspring and then told no the airbag light would be on if it was. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Roy

Move your tilt steering wheel up and down and see if that makes a difference.

It is a common problem with Gen-1 Sport Tracs to have the wiring harness in the steering column to be a little short on slack when the wheel is tilted and it pulls on the MultiSwitch connector in the column. This can pull wires loose from the connector and even break wires.

The results is that anything that is wired throught the steering column can behave irradically....sometimes several things will stop working or even several things may start to have intermittent failures. That includes the Ignition, Starter, turn signals, taillights, Brake lights, headllights, wipers, horn, cruise control, etc.

The fix is to insure that all wires are completed seated in the connector and no wires are broken. Then you need to pull up a little more slack in the wiring harness up into the steering column to insure that the tilt wheel can have a full range of motion up and down without pulling or straining the wiring harness.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link from the projects section IF you have a tilting column.

I did check and have the red cap so I will change that I also have had break and blanket problem in the past and have replaced the plastic clip and hot glued the wires in the slot so they will not pull out again I didn't see any broken wires when I did it and my cruise and horn were broken when I did it and it didn't fix it but it dis fix lights. Any other ideas? I will be ordering the thing for the master cylinder and will update when I have it installed. Ty for the help and ideas btw.

I did check and have the red cap so I will change that I also have had break and blanket problem in the past and have replaced the plastic clip and hot glued the wires in the slot so they will not pull out again I didn't see any broken wires when I did it and my cruise and horn were broken when I did it and it didn't fix it but it dis fix lights. Any other ideas? I will be ordering the thing for the master cylinder and will update when I have it installed. Ty for the help and ideas btw.

Usually when you have the wiring issue due to the harness being to tight you end up with blinker problems. When both the horn and cruise control stop working at the same time it is almost always a clockspring issue as those circuits pass through the clockspring.

roy,

l1tech makes a very good point about the clockspring. The clockspring is located at the top of the steering column, behind the steering wheel. It provides electrical contact paths for the buttons and switches that located in/on the steering wheel and need electrical contact while the steering wheel is rotating, like your horn and cruise control, etc

Below is a link to a YouTube video on how to change the clockspring on a Ford. It's not a Sport Trac, but the procedure will be very similar.

Be sure to check the wiring and multiswitch connector first before you go out and buy a new clockspring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-qHTVWCSQ

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fixed the wiring harness previously so I know its not that and clock spring is the only other idea other that red cap thing which I will be changing. On that note anyone have a link to buy what's need at a good price or should I go to ford. How hard will the clock spring be. I tested the horns to and they didn't work does that still point at clock spring? Ty guys for any and all info

Orange master cylinder thing???? Are you referring to the brake pressure sensor that is mounted on the master cylinder, if so that has nothing to do with your problem. The clockspring is located behind the drivers airbag in the steering wheel.

Latest posts