Crown Victoria Police Interceptor meets it's end?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't see the other cars being reliable or durable enough.

The challenger doesn't look as though it could engage in any sort of aggressive behavior--it can maybe chase people down, but something like the PIT maneuver? I just see its plasticy looking body smashing a bit on that. Lucrative contract for the body shop they contract...too bad they'll be paid with their own money ;)

Even Hollywood knows that the Crown Victoria is the most resilient car around. How many movies show it shot up and taking impossible punishment but still going strong? Even the Disney remake of Race to Witch Mountain extolled the durability of the CV.

Where's a movie with a modern dodge or a lexus or anything else really taking punishment? I don't think Dodge has been featured as such in movies since the 70s with Vanishing Point and the like.

...and if "The Rock Obama" signs off on it, it must be good, right? ;)

Got to love a car that will go 40 mph in reverse, it actually seemed to kick into a higher gear when you stomped on the gas in reverse too.

Doesn't Ford get French transmissions? This must be one of them :D

Doesn't Ford get French transmissions?

The Explorer has a tranny made at a Ford owned plant in France. Many other tranny's come from different locations in the USA. Batavia, Oh is one of those locations.

Tom

Many other tranny's come from different locations in the USA. Batavia, Oh is one of those locations.

Nice to see the USA still makes some transmissions...after the GM plant here in MD was closed, I was loosing faith. (I still consider it closed, for the record, since GM is dead)

Well, only 40 mph in reverse would be considered an inferior product in a French Armed Forces vehicle anyhow, so I should have known ;)

As for the futuristic RoboCop/Judge Dredd/Demolition Man/80s&90s dystopian SciFi cop car, I wouldn't doubt that we'd get it, since the local University (home to a county po-lice dept) just refitted its entire security patrol cop fleet with chargers. At least they look better than stock with the po-po paint job.

Should do great in those high speed chases around the 2 miles of road which curves up a hill. I wish I worked there--if they have $ to blow like that, they'd pay more than my current yob.

That floor shift lever HAS to go on the new Caprice. The cops won't go for it. Not with the need for light, siren, radio, and computer stuff the occupies floor space.

GM says the Caprice police car, built on one of its Australian rear-wheel-drive platforms, has been specifically adapted for police duty. The cars will have high-output alternators to handle the lights and radio and heavy-duty suspension and components. Caprice won't be sold in a civilian version. Caprice will have a monster 6-liter V-8 engine. For fuel savings, there will be an optional V-6 by 2012.

Ah, but will these "cop" specs be enough for it to qualify as the new Bluesmobile?:lol::cool:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yil9wlfa0yo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yil9wlfa0yo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We were told that FORD is upgrading the Taurus as a replacement for the Crown Vic / Interceptor in 2012.

Years ago we had Taurus Black and Whites and unmarked. I LIKED my Taurus for getting around in town, but it couldn't catch a cold. Also, the bigger engine apparently was hard on trannies, I PERSONALLY blew two trannies inc. the ones they upgraded and hardened. One was at high speeds on the freeway, the other was in city traffic and low speeds.

Well, according to the rumors the world ends in 2012 anyway...

This was taking at the Deerborn Inn at a sales meeting. The cars you see are Taurus. The police advisory board was looking at the ability to fit all the police equipment in the cockpit. Ford is looking at the police only changes that may include interface with external computers to the nav monitor and also other changes like the rear doors will open wider to allow cuffed bad guys to get in the back easier. Of course this is not official...

Last edited by a moderator:
The City of Sumter SC has 18 brand new Crown Vics in there recieving lot. They came in yesterday. If the old ones weren't so beat up, I'd love to go to the sale and buy one...

The last car I would buy would be a "Patrol" Crown Vic. The reason I get rid of them when I do is that they are used up. Very durable car but used up. A admin car would be a good buy but the cab companies now that and they get good money at auction. Look for a CV without decals and holes from overhead lights. Also look at the body mounts. If the bolts are bent or just look out of wack don't buy. That car was off the ground and took a big hit on landing.

Latest posts