Crown Victoria Police Interceptor meets it's end?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
taken from my forum's for Fire/Police/EMS...

http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=48610

why would ford discontinue the crown vic police interceptor when it is sure to sell and does not cost more money to Ford as far as re-tooling machines and molds and etc...the list goes on.

I see the crown vic as money in the bank for Ford as police agencies all over the US continue to buy them year after year. the Vic is tried and true and its reputation proceeds it. so why end it?

It's a car that sells itself. When's the last time you saw a TV or print ad for a Crown Vic?

They were all made in the St. Thomas plant, which is 15 mins from where I live.

That plant is closing in two years apparently. Gonna lose approx. 1500 jobs. Big news around here, obviously.

It's a car that sells itself. When's the last time you saw a TV or print ad for a Crown Vic?

Hmmm... or for that matter: The Sport Trac...

As for a possible successor to the Crown Vic PI: How 'bout a Taurus PI package with the SHO EcoBoost drivetrain? The new Taurus has just about the same amount of interior and trunk space as a Crown Vic.

Remember the interceptor concept?

<a href="http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0707_ford_interceptor_concept/index.html"Ford Interceptor</a>

There is a rumor going around that ford has scrapped plans for their next global rear-wheel drive platform. But maybe FoMoCo wants it that way?

Police like RWD over FWD or AWD.

Big mistake on Fords part...BIG MISTAKE.

If you read further on down the article it says Ford is working closely with aftermarket suppliers and police departments on the next vehicle they would be making. So my guess is, they'll come up with something that the po-po's like.

Police like RWD over FWD or AWD.

That may have been true in the past, but with the market availability of large, RWD, four-door sedans dwindling, the law enforcement community has had to adapt to other, non-traditional service vehicles. Plenty of police departments and other LEO agencies use FWD Chevy Impalas. Though many also use full size SUV's like the Expedition or Tahoe too. But, for rear drive sedans, the Charger's still out there.

Another thought: The article above didn't state whether or not the Merc Grand Marquis (Crown Vic's sister) will be discontinued. If not, perhaps a PI package will be made for it.

Plenty of police departments and other LEO agencies use FWD Chevy Impalas.

From input of a police officer that used to be here said, Chevy Impala's are cheaper to buy, but at the end of use, they cost more than the Fords. But the majority of police forces prefer to use the RWD Crown Vic's because they are more durable, cheaper to maintain, built better, have more power, and cheaper overall.

Talk to a cop driving an Impala, 90% will say, I want my Crown Vic back.

Tom

Oh, I don't dispute the Crown Vic's superiority in terms of value and durability at all. All I'm saying is that with its demise, the Charger is the only RWD sedan left that's sold with a police package, so the law enforcement community is having to look at other types of vehicles and re-think their strategy when it comes to their service vehicles.

I really wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure there's another

Ford POS (as agent J called it) just around the corner!

]
96982ba5aa56ffa24710118bd12b077c.jpg

"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise 'round in a Ford P.O.S"

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that with a lot of fords vehicles going global (2011 fiesta, 201? focus, new ranger) they will bring over falcon from australia, that is the only rear drive that could fit the bill that I can think of.

I did love driving the Police Interceptor for Skills training though. Got to love a car that will go 40 mph in reverse, it actually seemed to kick into a higher gear when you stomped on the gas in reverse too.:cool:

as a fellow law enforcement officer I hope we get this!

Absoultly! People could pick out the cop car for 3 miles away. Not a chance in heck of not being seen as a cop.

Tom

Toyota still makes a full size rear wheel drive car that could fill the bill. Actually they could use either the Lexus GS or LS platform. I can see law enforcement lovin the luxury.

Use an LS460L with the reclining rear seat for the real "hardened" criminals.

buzz;)

Latest posts