Creaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed an strange issue and it is still too cold and snowy to crawl under and have a look, thought I'd see if any of you have the same problem. When the suspension is flexing quite a bit such as turning into a steep driveway, something creaks on the floorboard of the drivers side, if I keep my left foot flat on the floor when it is happening I can feel the creaking right through the floor. I am thinking it may be a torsion issue, but I need to get under and see what is attached right at that location.

I usually have the same noises in the winter, especially when it's been this cold. It's still a good idea to look under the truck and see what it is. If you don't have a garage then take it to a gas station with a cover and check out underneath.:smile0006::smile0004:

Early tracks had an issue with the body mount in the right rear of the cab. Eventually these would crack and they (Ford) came out with a repair kit for this issues. However, in most cases once these failed it would either pop or snap more so than creak.

I would look at this mount to make sure, but I would check the bushings out very well on the control arms. They now make greasable bushings and joints for all connections on the Trac at this point. If you replace any of the bushings, I would recommend doing so with greasable bushings...

I have a creaking/groaning on the rear drivers side of my 04 sport trac especially when turning right up a steep driveway. I was thinking it was my rear sway bar. What are considered "early" tracs.

Check the steering stops. Put a dab of grease on each point of contact. I have to do it several times a year on mine.

[Broken External Image]:

Tracket has the right idea. Check and see if the steering stops are dry, if so, put some grease there. Another thing is the front sway bar bushings. They like to groan when it's cold out also. A needle tip on a grease gun can usually get some grease between the bushing and the bar to remedy this. I also hit the rear sway bar bushings when I'm at it. They are usually my culprit, but from your discription, I'd say it's in the front.