crazy electrical short PLEASE HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Sove

Reaction score
driving to work today I dropped into passing gear and all of a sudden my radio, gauges, lights, everything went out.. no twilight turn signals or brake lights. BUT my abs light and airing light are on, as well as dash illumination.. dome lights work. NOW I get to work, shut it off, turn the key forward everything works.. start the truck and after about 5-6 seconds, everything goes back out. I THINK when it happened on the freeway I smelt burnt wires afterwards but it could have been another vehicle or the dirty city I was passing through. Any takers??????

Check battery terminals. Might need to get the battery tested. Our tracs get electrical gremlins with bad batteries.

brought it home and hooked up the OBD... nothing. so i started checking voltage at random spots.. Turns out the regulator on the alternator took a crap and was OVER charging the battery, causing the actual fluid inside the battery to BOIL.. (yes, we shut the truck off and heard this).. lifetime warranties ROCK! got the new alternator, put it in, problem solved.:banana: