CRASH! Add me to the list

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JK H

Reaction score
My fiance' drove the Trac to work since her Passat died. While parked, it got in the middle of a four-car accident. It got hit in the back, knocked into another parked car. Fortunately, the driver at fault is insured. I just got home to find this...

[Broken External Image]:

More pics in my library. The bed buckled into the cab making a small crease, and minor damage up front. The at-fault insurance company told her to take it to their place, I think I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and let them give it a good going-over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear it...latley it looks like the silver tracs have lost the curse...been dark colors getting rearended...:(

You can take it where you want to take it. You don't have to be stuck with what they say. Hopefully you get it fixed up good as new.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I was rear ended in my mustang last September and am still dealing with the other drivers insurance.

Just because the driver was at fault doesn't mean that it will easy for you.

I am having to deal with AIG insurance and they are hard to call and don't return calls.

It is best to keep contact thru e-mail. Also, that way you have a record of what was said and when.

Keep a detailed journal record of everything you do and receipts in a notebook.

And go after Diminished Value of your SportTrac. Get your own estimate of DV because the insurance company will proably offer a severly low DV offer.

No matter how good the repair shop does the work, the ST will not be the in same condition or value comparing pre-accident and post-accident conditions.

If you have GAP insurance go for a total loss from the insurance company.

Good Luck

JKH will your insurance have to cover the damage to the car that you were knocked into? I ask because I have heard stories where that was the case, and the rational was that the vehicle being knocked into the vehicle ahead was at fault for being parked to closely.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
If your knocked into the vehicle in front of you no, it is the rear vehicles fault.

If it is a chain event where everyone stops fast and you hit the car in front of you then yes, it will be your insurance.

That is why they often ask the car in front of you how many times did you feel the other car hit you.

If they say once, it normally means you were pushed into them. If they say twice, it normally means you hit them then were also pushed into them.

Coastie says:
If your knocked into the vehicle in front of you no, it is the rear vehicles fault.

Coastie, are you speaking from experience or from what you feel is the common sense answer?

I ask because I too think it should be that way, but I had a friend that was rear ended, hit the car in front of him, and he had his car paid for by the guy that hit him and he in return had to pay for the car he hit in front.

TJR

Man I think there is a conspiracy going on against Sport Tracs. No doubt perpetuated by evil GM owners. (And of course President Bush).

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think it would be difficult for them to assign any fault on our part, there was about 6 feet of space in front of the ST. There was at least one independent witness, everyone says the at fault driver ran the red light. I just spoke to the agent for her, he said on the message she left him last night she's claiming the other driver was at fault. He even said he's trying to reach her to get it straight, and talk some sense into her. So, worst case scenario is I'll cover the repairs and sue her, which will be a great big PITA....