Crank Shaft Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I did a search with no result.

Awhile back I think, it was member l1tech posted a simple way to test the crank shaft sensor.

This is on a 4.6 L 2001 grand marquis. It is a hit miss as if spark timing is off, while cranking. plugs and fuel filter is new. It is COP, so I doubght all coils are bad. It just sounds like missfire while cranking. The car ran fine for over 10 miles. Then just shut down.

It wont start though. There are no codes. Im going to run fuel pressure test and a few checks latter today. If it was a mechanical distributor. I would think the coil or the timming sliped.

Anyone have some ideas.

Thanks

Eddie

The check engine light should go off while cranking when the pcm receives a rpm signal but don't make this the definitive test as I have seen a few Ford products where this is not the case. Does the engine sound like it's trying to kick back when you crank it? I think you and I both know what that means.

Scott,

Yes it sounds like a kick-back as if crossed plug wires or the old mechanical distributor timing is, too far off. Firing order wise. it is DIS though.

I havent had a chance to get back to it. It was my Moms' car. It always ran good. Then it sat for a month after she passed. My brother let it run at idle for 30minutes to get the battery up to par. He said, It ran good for 10 miles. Then it started missing, died and wouldnt start again. The battery was old. He replaced that in case it was the low battery gremlin.

He told me it still kicks like a timing issue or lean fuel rail pressure. It is the recerculating return fuel vaccum regulator system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie

Try unplugging the cam and the crank sensor and see how it turns over. By doing this we are taking away the computers ability to fire the injectors and the plugs. if it still kicks back then it would seem as if there has to be a mechanical issue with the timing setup.

Latest posts