Cracked rear diff cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad H

Reaction score
I'm assuming this isn't good. Should i consider replacing the cover? It is a pretty obvious crack but it does not appear to be leaking...[Broken External Image]:

I think what you're seeing is the undercoating... the covers are really beefy, I doubt it'll crack before thr trac hits the boneyard...:supercool:

That's undercoating caked up on the diff cover, if it is leaking get it resealed though. You can take a screw driver and scrape that crap off there to be sure it isn't leaking from the bolts.

:banana:

I inspect metal for cracks every day. I assure you, that does not look like a crack.

Tom

sounds good. thanks everyone. I just really got under there for the first time and i guess you could say i'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to my truck. I just did brakes, shocks, and tires all the way around. I just rolled over 96k in an 04 and i'm paranoid the thing is just going to fall apart some day. Trying to get every bit of use out of it that i can.

It isn't even broken in yet.... I have 184K on my '02 2wd trac, and had to put 2 tie rods and an alternator on it.... That's it... keep the fluids changed.... all of them.. :haveabeer:

Latest posts