Cr*p cleaner for windows... wow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fer Echegaray

Reaction score
I'm kinda anal regarding what goes into my winblows machines both at home and at the office (The linux partitions are easier to maintain).

I regularly use Spybot, Ad-Aware and AVG antivirus, and use Firefox to surf the web along with a firewall.

Anyway, if you have dealt with the Registry you know it's difficult to find all the stuff left behind by a program uninstalled, so I did a search for registry cleaners and found Ccleaner (stands for cr*p cleaner), it has some utilities to remove cache & cookies & MRU lists... But the nice thing about it is the registry scan and fix-it tool.

I'd recommend it to anyone that has had some previous experience with the Registry editor (regedit), it made my home PC boot up faster, way faster after fixing some 500 problems after a couple of consecutive scans. And it's FREE!

BUT, if you're not sure what you're doing, make a backup copy of yor registry, just in case... Use at your own risk:

Edit: fixed link & some orthography

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Fer. A friend of mine told me about the program about 3 weeks ago. Tried it and am very happy with it. It's not slow either. I had one once that took about as long as a virus scan would. Needless to say it didn't stay on the computer long.;)

Here is a nice website I learned of from an article in Maximum PC. The site lists those startup items that build up in 'msconfig', making Windows take longer to load and have stuff run needlessly in the background. The list identifies the item and indicates if it is required for Windows (and the programs you've subsequently installed) to work or if it is just a resource hog. Mind you, this is not a program you run; only a database. So run msconfig, refer to the site, and start unchecking those items in msconfig that you don't need running at startup.

Last edited by a moderator: