Convincing to buy an 07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Esken

Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my Dad in getting an 07 ST. He wants a 4x4 Oxford White V8. Hes set on the F-150 but I told him to get a ST. Give reasons why he should get a ST over an F-150. Hes afraid it wouldnt be able to tow a 4500 lb boat as well as an F-150.

F-150 is bigger, has more room, more power, a solid rear axle and gets anout the same gas mileage.

Go with the F-150.

Tom

p.s. it is better looking too and more versatile.

Because my brother and I are getting one for our dad? :)

He's retiring and told my mom he wants "a little red truck." He wants a Ranger to beat around, but we're likely going with Red Fire with dark charcoal interior.

As for towing capacity, I've pulled nearly 4,000 pounds with the SOHC V6. Properly equipped, there's no reason the V8 cannot pull a 4,500 pound boat. The engine is spec'ed at 6,900 for 4.2 and 7,100 for 4x2.

Edit: Tom's onto something, though. The price of a fully loaded ST is the same as an '07 150 FX4 with luxury package, navigation, etc. It's likely you get "more truck" for less money with the F-150. Hmm

Edit 2: More credence to Tom. (Don't get full of yourself. :D) The F-150, if paying monthly, offers 0% at 60 months; the Trac is at 36 months. You can't go wrong with 0%--you're buying with Ford's money, especially when considering your funds earn interest during that time. The interest you earn over the life of the vehicle decreases its overall cost...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not be mislead. 0% intrest is NOT always the best way to go. By paying intrest with my Trac's loan, I saved $1300.00 oiver the 0% intrest.

Do the math.

Tom

Well I would personally pick the ST over the F-150, only because the F-150 was too big for my own comfort. Otherwise I would have picked up an F-150 Harley Truck....that's the way to go if your leaning towards the F-150. Good luck!

All depends what he wants. Main reason for me getting an ST instead of standard pickup was for the people hauling capabilty in a pickup style vehicle that still fits in a 20 ft deep garage. I would never let my grown children decide for me what I'm going to drive as long as I'm paying for it. Now if they decide to buy me a new vehicle, then I guess they can get whatever they think I should have.

When i was searching for a truck, the F150 was on my radar. I think with the ST, its a personality thing. The looks are unique.

now the luxury of the F150 has come a long way so i just think its needs that come in play.

By paying intrest with my Trac's loan, I saved $1300.00 oiver the 0% intrest.

I didn't check incentives on the vehicle. I assumed a baseline price with interest versus no interest. In your case, if there is a significant rebate and the payoff time is low, you easily can do better.

I needed the room for my kiddos on long trips...btw, I pulled the Cobra to GA and back without any probs, and you can figure about 3500 lbs for the car and another 1700 for the trailer (frickin bumps around Birmingham sucked though)

I'm trying to convince my Dad in getting an 07 ST.

I'd bet your Dad is a full grown man by now, let him buy what he wants. If the ST you convinced him to buy had ANY problems, you'll never live it down. Of course, you could buy him an ST. ;)

Either truck can be equipped to carry five people and the F series gets the nod for more cargo space. However, for me the decision to buy the ST over an F-150 was a no brainer. The F series would not fit comfortably in my attached garage. The ST fits fine. I don't carry enough large objects to warrant walking outside every morning to get into my truck. The occasional bag of mulch or engine block fits just fine. I live in Ohio and the weather here sucks about 80% of the time and I'd be scraping frost off the windshield the other 20%. I'd rather be warm and dry than have the ability to carry drywall. I can use a trailer for stuff like that. :D

The ST carries drywall just fine. With tailgate down you have a 6 ft.+ bed length and 48" wide drywall lays flat between the wheel wells. I built a bed extender from 2x4's and was able to haul 12 ft. long rolls of carpet and vinyl. As I stated above, my truck had to carry five people and fit in my garage for just the reasons blksn8k states above. I hate to scrape ice and like to stay dry when getting into and out of my Trac when I'm home.

Latest posts