Contact lost with hypersonic glider after launch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
From the article:

LOS ANGELES (AP) An unmanned hypersonic glider developed for U.S. defense research into super-fast global strike capability was launched atop a rocket early Thursday but contact was lost after the experimental craft began flying on its own, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency said.

There was no immediate information on how much of the mission's goals were achieved.

The launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base, 130 miles northwest of Los Angeles, was the second of two planned flights of a Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2. Contact was also lost during the first mission.

Shaped like the tip of a spear, the small craft is part of a U.S. military initiative to develop technology to respond to threats at 20 times the speed of sound or greater, reaching any part of the globe in an hour.

The HTV-2 is designed to be launched to the edge of space, separate from its booster and maneuver through the atmosphere at 13,000 mph before intentionally crashing into the ocean.

The article is worth reading in full, especially the comments at the bottom, many of which are hilarious...

and this will help us "do what?" send me some of that 30 mil each and I'll show them a completed flight....:grin:

Interesting...

I don't know what to make of it, yet, but it is a good read.

Maybe if they spend $60 million, it'll last 18 seconds.

In other, unrelated news, Kim Jung Il and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad were in a private meeting and simply vanished from the face of the earth. :bwahaha: