Considering a Sport Trac for my next vehicle.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis E

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm needing a newer vehicle, and the Sport Trac finally caught my eye. I've been hunting small SUV's and Trucks, so the Trac is a little bigger than I was looking for at first, but I should be able to live with it. I wanted to stay with Ford, I was born and raised Ford, hate to leave them now.

I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for buying a Sport Trac. It seems to be slim pickings in my area (Bowling Green, KY) but I am pretty picky and will hunt for the configuration I want or I won't get one. Any tips on things to look for when inspecting the vehicle, and options to keep an eye out for that are particularly appealing would be appreciated.

How are these trucks on holding up over the miles? I'm hoping to find one under 80,000, but most configured like I want are creeping up close to 100,000. I do my own mechanic work for the most part. If maintained well do these trucks have a good life expectancy or do design issues creep up after a certain mileage?

How is the real world MPG's? I'm betting on around 17-19 on average? Or is that a little optimistic?

Right now I'm thinking I want a 2008 V8 4x4. I'm not too picky on color, silver, black, or another color I can live with are okay. I really want the stock bed cover, a sunroof would be nice, and the navigation would be really nice, but of course I'll take one without those particular luxuries, I'm sure some things could be added later if I really wanted them.

I liked this one, little far from home though, and a little more than I want to pay. (See attached Link)

I still need to find one and test drive it. I'm over 6 ft tall, but it being built off an Explorer base I don't imagine it being too small.

Thanks for any inside info on getting a Sport Trac, no one knows these things like the people that drive them every day.

I looked at the link you provided. I think it may be priced a little high for the miles it has. As far as reliability I can only speak for my '05. It has been very reliable and I am very pleased with it. I have about 70k on it now and the only "major" repair was the fuel pump a couple of years ago by the previous owner. I am very pleased with the vehicle and the versatility of it.

As far as searching, go to cars.com and put in for your zip code 37072. Search in about a 75 mile radius. This will give you a search based on the Nashville, Tn area. I found over 30 in a 75 mile radius, ranging from 2001 to 2010 models.

Once you Sport Trac, You'll never go back! I was raised pro Chevy and never even looked at Ford when buying a vehicle. I am on vehicle number 18 and i'm 40 years old, I have owned my '04 xlt premium for about 2 years and I can't see myself driving anything else ever. My Trac has 180,000 kms (112,000 miles) on it and I haven't had a single problem with it since i've owned it.

My advice to you is, if you have the luxury of time, to hold out for the right one with the right configuration that suits your needs. It took me a month to find mine. When this one dies, I will most likely buy a gen 2.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Lee

go for it Travis! I have an 01 I bought 4 yrs ago that I put 112k and it has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned. I just bought 07 V8, 4x4 with 8ok and it still runs like brand new. Looking forward to putting a few miles on it. Make sure you check under the hood & listen for a ticking noise- could be bad exhaust manifold studs and its an expensive repair. Other than that you'll love the ride & versaltility of the ST. I agree with gyates, looks like a great tuck but look around $ seems a little high.

good luck!

Thanks for the replies so far, great info!

I've ruled out the one I had a link to. Too high on price and miles, but additionally I don't like going over someones mod work. I'm doing that now with a Bronco and it amazes me what people hack up to do a mod. I do like that look though, probably won't go quite that extreme with mods, the winch and excessive off road lights were a little over the top. (but useful for other projects, can always take them off and re-use.)

I really need to test drive a Sport Trac and get the feel, but it looks perfect for me. I currently drive a 2001 Escape 4x4, and it's a great little SUV, but won't tow (front wheel drive and I4) and is getting up in miles. I don't plan to get rid of it, it's time to have it's successor on board so when the inevitable time consuming repairs start occurring I'll still have something modern and reliable to drive to work.

I haul parts all the time for my project vehicles, not usually big but dirty and not needing to be in the cab with me. I make do in the Escape, but it's funny to see a transmission back there wrapped up in old rugs and strapped to the floor so I won't ruin my interior. I have a pop up camper I want to be able to pull without depending on my parents full size truck to be available to borrow. I also have a fishing kayak that the roof rack would be perfect for, keeping clear of the camper and leaving the bed for other junk.

I have all the time in the world for the moment, so I'll keep searching till the right one pops up.

Here's a very nice article on how to inspect a used vehicle and what to look out for.

BTW, I have had an 02 for about four years and have only had to perform basic maintenance such as brakes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this one, see link. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. It's not near me unfortunately.

2008 V8, 4x4, 40k miles, Limited, tow package. They want just under $25k for it, could stand to be a little less but not so high it's out of bargaining range to get down to estimated market value. Higher than I want to go, I was thinking more in the under $20 range, but it has fewer miles than I'll find in that range.

I might have to think on this one a little before I cull it from the list of possibles.

I still haven't found at least a V8 in town to just test drive, some V6's around but still quite a drive to go see knowing I won't buy. I think Tracs are scarce around here.

[/quoteI think Tracs are scarce around here.]

tracs are scarce everywhere. Watch out on the tow package if you have that in mind. I almost bought a v8 with a class 2 hitch. They are part of the frame so you cant change them out. I drove 400 miles to get the one I bought and it was worth every second of it!:driving:

I suggest you consider year 2008 thru 2010 models because in 2008 the anti-rollover system was added. The ride is wonderful on my 2008 Adrenalin.

Having owned Ford trucks for the last 20 years I would not go anywhere else. I'm planning on owning this 2008 for as long as it lasts. By the time I'm ready I'm sure Ford will have something similar. There are way too many of us that love the Sport Trac and eventually Ford will realize the F150 is too big for us. I won't be buying any of the Asian wanna be trucks either. I think most of us hope Ford sees the light and come up with something we will like in the mid-size truck market.

Latest posts