Confirmed: CEL Caused By Excess Oil Blow By

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I need to drain my oil seporator more often. It's getting oil on the TB and is causing some RPM flare issues that can result in a CEL. This morning it was 7*F and when I started the truck, it idled around 500-700 rpm. I've had vehicles do something like this before when it's cold out but this was crazy. I've had a "wrench" come on while driving at WOT for just a second. It shows the truck in 6th gear but the rpms are at 2350 or 2500 when they are normally at 2000 at 75mph in 6th. All because the throttle body was gummed up.

I'm not paying my tech to clean it. I can do it myself in minutes this weekend.

For those of you wondering how this is possible. You can see how insanely close the Saleen Oil Bly By outlet is to the TB.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt, though the stock location isn't much farther away from the TB either.

[Broken External Image]:

Big difference in the amount of flow between stock and our setups at WOT so more of that crude to accumulate it would seem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you dont have an excessive ring blow-by. The SC will expand this problem. That is normal. Therefore the seperator.

For my own peace of mind. If this is happenning in short milelage. I would run a compression check.

Latest posts