Computer,,,,, Screen Resolutions......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Maybe this will get a reply..

I'm working on a customers website and he wants larger than 800 X 600.(which I thought was the standard). What are most of you guys running on screen resolutions.

I'm upgrading MY sites to 1024 X 768.. Soooo here are my questions...

Opinions??

1) laptop or pc

2) screen resolution

my reply:

pc

1152X864

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two laptops...

IBM Thinkpad T42 1400x1050 resolution (standard screen) -nice laptop

Hp Nx5000 1024x768 (standard screen) -emergency pos laptop

Hope to upgrade to a Think pad t400 or maybe one of their tablets...

hope that helps..

-Don D.

1024x768 has been standard for a long time on laptops and desktops. That is what I build websites at.. personally though my res is 1680x1050, and I'm not sure how to measure the "working area" without scrolling without downloading an add on.

Old link for some info

LaRue,

Whatever you do, don't maximize your website for 1024 or most people will have to do a lot of horizontal scrolling.

Instead, design on a desktop with 1024 x 768 (for example), but make sure your content sits, centered, within the browser and is around 800 pixels wide (for example, go to Yahoo.com and look at their new layout, resize the browser, see how the margins on the right/left get bigger/smaller).

Web pages, like paper should have content that is taller than wider, yet still not require a lot of vertical scrolling...that's my personal opinion, and what most websites seem to do these days.

TJR

Resolutions are going up (or is it down?).

But if you want legacy computer screens to see it, stick with 800 x 600.

You guys are in the stone ages...

But really though i'm surprised there are that many running on 1024x768 monitors. i thought for sure 1280x1024 is the what a majority of people are running today.

My main monitor is 1920x1200 and i actually have a second one running at 1680x1050.

1280 * 800 on the laptop and 1920 * 1080 (1080p) on my monitor.

I still do have an old LCD that has 1024*768 as its native resolution though....so old (less than 3 years lol) that it still has an 8 ms refresh rate, which is considered abysmally slow :wacko:

That's the stone age alright.

You have to remember that smaller screens are still regularly in use on mobile devices and smaller laptops.

If you design the site correctly you can resize the content dynamicly based on screen size to a min and max level.

Personal plug, you can look at my site which the content resizes, it is always 90% of your screen down to 900px wide.

And now to put an end to the guessing and pontificating - if you/your customer have stats on your sites it should tell the information your are looking for.

You can work to the least common denominator (lowest res) or go to the most common.

TJR: Actually, the software I use sets the 1024 X768 screen size, to a working area of 994 X 768. There should be no problems with that. My software does not allow me to make dynamic pages, so I'll live with what I have. Thanks guys

You software doesn't allow percent sized div's and tables instead of pixel sized? That is all that dynamic sizing is, there is no real magic to it, that should be a standard feature in all design software.. but I use dreamweaver and don't know anything about the others.

Latest posts