Computer/Router assistance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router which I am attempting to install on my B-I-Law's wireless DSL network. I have used this router in the past and when packaged away it was fully operational. I've attempted to hook this unit up on a couple of occasions but am unsuccessful getting the computer to see the router (http://192.168.1.1), even with the only connection being from the computer to the router (no DSL cable attached). I've deleted ZoneAlarm as a precaution thinking that it might be affecting outbound ports but no go. If I unplug the modem cable from the router and plug it directly to the computer everything is peachy. I've even swapped out the cables without any luck. Whenever the Linksys is plugged in I get all flashing lights at the specific port where the line is plugged in. What am I missing here? I know, no good deed goes unpunished.

The router might not have dhcp turned on or it might not be at 192.168.1.1. Press the hard reset button in for about 5-10 seconds until the lights start flashing (i think they may flash red). This will reset the router to the defaults which puts it at 192.168.1.1 for linksys.

Yep, done that. I can't even get to the setup screen because because there is no apparent communication between the router and computer. I had confirmed with his ISP cust. support that he is DHCP, not PPPoE. I find it hard to believe that it would be a router issue since it worked perfectly when stored away but I can't imagine what is keeping the computer from seeing the router since it is a simple one cable configuration. I would wonder about his ethernet port if it weren't for the fact that I can obviously connect to the web by bypassing the router.

The BEFW11S4 is a very buggy unit. It may need to be replaced. Mine is needing resetting about 2-3 times a day now. It acts like there is no internet connection, when I check the status page it show no assigned IP address to the internet. I've swapped out DSL modems and the problem continues, so I know its not SBC.

Friend has one too, it's doing the same thing. This will be the last Linksys unit I own.

make sure windows firewall is turned off! this will block the router as well, i had that happen on my end and scratched my head for hours. turned off windows firewall and router was connected instantly.

Did. I even had him purchase a different router and it also is not seen by the computer. Ping results in 4 packets sent, none received. I even deleted the NIC and had Windows XP reinstall and it still doesn't appear.

Click Start |Run

Type "CMD" then enter

at the Command Prompt type "ipconfig /all" and report the ip address,subnet mask, dns settings, gateway that is listed.

It sounds to me like the pc is not getting the DHCP assigned address.

you could also assign a hard coded address if it is on a simple home network.

Let me know if you may need further help!!

ho ho ho:rolleyes:

You probably have already done so, but just in case, have you checked the ethernet cable? Make sure you're not trying to use a crossover where you would need a straight-through. Good luck!

Here are the results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SANFORD

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : wcc.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : wcc.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 C+ Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-F3-F3-48

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.168.250.113

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 63.168.250.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.168.250.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.6.232.10

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 25, 2005 10:26:26 A

M

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 25, 2005 6:26:26 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>

Hmm...

That IP address is registered to West Central Wireless SPRINTLINK. Is that the address you are getting when you have it hooked up to the router, or directly to the modem?

He has a wireless setup with antenna on the roof. Carrier is correct. Results are from the modem. The router is in the box. I am not able to ping the router with just the router and computer hooked together. I have been briefly able to link to the router and once, very briefly, able to hook to the web if I changed the setting to like a half-duplex as I recall but I wasn't able to reproduce it. That's why I think the problem is with the computer network settings. It is currently set to auto detect.

Hook the pc up to the router, and then do the "ipconfig /all" and post it.

You said in an earlier post than when you have the pc hooked up to the router, that the light is on for the port that the pc is plugged into, correct?

When I plug the router in and reboot the entire setup (router/computer simultaneously) the Link/Act, Full/Col, and 100 lights all blink in unison at whichever port I plug the ethernet cable into. Give me a sec and I'll have it hooked back up and post what I find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>ipconfig/all

Here are the settings with the router between the computer and the modem. Results are the same regardless of ZoneAlarm being uninstalled. Lunchtime with the family so I'll check back later. Thanks for any insight you can offer at this point.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SANFORD

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 C+ Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-F3-F3-48

C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>

The PC doesn't see the router...

The cable that you are using from the PC to the router - is it the same one that you use to the modem? I would assume it's a straight-through and not a cross-over (a crossover has a couple of wires switched on one end - you can compare the ends of the cable to determine that).

Latest posts